Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 9th, 2018

bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
edited November 2018 in New in Onshape

Another 3 weeks, another amazing update from Onshape including some highly requested features! Customers who have submitted tickets that are addressed by improvements in this release will be notified in the coming days. If you have improvement requests, please submit your ideas here. Let us know what you think.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

REPLACE PARTS IN AN ASSEMBLY

You can now replace parts in an assembly with any other part, even from other documents or standard content.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jp82co0xsk

DRAWING CALLOUTS ALIGNMENT

Drawing callouts can be aligned vertically and horizontally with the first selected callout in a selection from the context menu.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/aunds15h2e

DUAL UNITS PANEL IMPROVEMENTS

In the dimensions panel, there are improved options for control over dual units. By default, a dimension will follow what's set in the drawings properties panel or you can select for the chosen dimensions to either show single or dual units independent of the drawing properties.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9avgsuwf5y

IMPROVED INSERT VIEW DIALOG WITH SCALE OPTION

New with this update is a view scale option added to the insert view dialog. You can set your drawing view scale upon insertion instead of needing to perform a secondary action.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ypf369uo9x

UPDATE DRAWINGS DURING VERSION CREATION

When creating a version you will now be notified if any drawings are out of date along with the ability to update those drawings through the version creation dialog.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tvsend44in

BEND NOTES AND HOLE CALLOUTS IN PROPERTIES PANEL

Bend notes and hole callouts are added to the annotations tab of the drawing properties panel. Here you can modify the font, text height, and color of the bend notes and hole callouts.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1rj4me5gmk

ENTERPRISE FEATURES

SPECIFY USERS FOR RELEASE CREATION

In Enterprise, you can now specify who is allowed to create a release candidate as a global permission to go along with the existing ability to control who can approve releases. Remember, global permissions are controlled by an enterprise administrator.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ljlup7xbee

REPORTING PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

This update includes performance improvements to enterprise analytics reports. Initial report opening time is now faster as well as navigating between different reports within a session.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3ps9pnfaiw

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the Onshape changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
Twitter: @bradleysauln

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Hells yea, replace parts! Can't wait to get home and put that to the test
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Awesome and a great way to start the weekend! Don't forget to check the Changelog. There are some goodies hidden in there. Thank you to everyone at Onshape for finally implementing Replace Part in an Assembly. I hope this is leading up to some assembly configurations in our future  ;)
    edited November 2018
    Just in time for my rubiks experiment... I'm figuring 250 + mates and a few relations for those 27 parts :D

• Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for Replace Part! Really Excited about that!
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Replace Part is awesome! Thanks Onshape!

Hmmm...only works for Parts for now (can't replace Assemblies yet). 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Replace Part in assembly is a great improvement, this will come in very handy. Also, the scale view before inserting is a nice touch to drawings, I nearly always have to change after inserting but this will make it much easy to get it right first go. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Great updates!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Why do modified dates more than 2-3 weeks ago only show as dates and not the time?
    Was this changed in this update? :(
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Why do modified dates more than 2-3 weeks ago only show as dates and not the time?
    Was this changed in this update? :(
    it only goes back one week! for the same day last week it only shows the date, not the time. I was using this for checking time spent on a project.
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Great improvements  :) 
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Excellent stuff...!

I immediately tested the Replace Parts feature and it works seamlessly, from what I can tell. 
    For me, it's basic functionality that i figured you folks would get to eventually. 

Nice work !
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - John, thank you as always. The guys/gals work very hard on this stuff and we all read these comments. As you know by now, we release an initial take on something and then collect feedback from the users and then have a second or third round. It's not that we forget to do something, or aren't smart enough to know that we should do something - it's a process (this is more for others than for you :)). So you let us off lightly, you dont want the option to have the balloons equally spaced? ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited November 2018
    @john_mcclary - John, thank you as always. The guys/gals work very hard on this stuff and we all read these comments. As you know by now, we release an initial take on something and then collect feedback from the users and then have a second or third round. It's not that we forget to do something, or aren't smart enough to know that we should do something - it's a process (this is more for others than for you :)). So you let us off lightly, you dont want the option to have the balloons equally spaced? ;)
    Sorry if I sounded like I was saying you forgot or whatever, I know better than that :) (I just over explain stuff, a.k.a. Ramble)

Yea equally spaced is good once in a while, but I do tend to have that option Off more often with magnetic lines in SW. The parts are not usually equally spaced and I think it looks nicer when all the lines are shooting off at the same angle, rather than the balloons being equal.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Replace part looks great, thanks for the hard work. Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - I wasn't busting your coco's - you're absolutely right and we need that feedback! :)
    Good feedback on the equally spaced perhaps being less important than other things.
    We have some major projects in the pipeline and we are all very excited to give them to our users between now and (best guess) the end of January - hold onto your hats! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Holding :

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @john_mcclary MAGBA has a nice ring to it.

@philip_thomas   I'd vote for parrel leaders rather than equally spaced balloons.  

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great stuff, can't wait to test replace part. Setting scale 'on the fly' is confirmed click saver.
    Thanks!!
    //rami
    It looks like Replace doesn't work for surfaces yet.
    It looks like Replace doesn't work for surfaces yet.
    What about parts to sub-assemblies or vise visa?
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements
    Replace part looks promising... It may be a good option to allow select a part in the assembly as replacement part

We are happy to see so many improvements in drawings.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Replace part !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited November 2018
    Great improvements
    Replace part looks promising... It may be a good option to allow select a part in the assembly as replacement part

We are happy to see so many improvements in drawings.
    I just tried a replacement of a weldment tube very similar to the picture here of Eduardo's, unfortunately, in this case, it replicates the part at the original global zero position, it would be nice if we could have an option to replace a part centroid to centroid of the body. 
    What about selecting mate connector of existing part and then selecting mate connector of new part and insert there. Similar to 'move by mate connector' in part studio.
    //rami
    Am I the only one who is constantly struggling with inserting parts into assembly? Search is useless since it shows all the parts in the world (public) and there's no folder structure in insert dialog. Only labels, which are very handy but not prompted to add when creating new document.

I would like to see very soon in insert dialog:
    - Search only My documents 
    - Folder structure
    and
    - Ability to add labels to new doc in naming dialog (before opening doc)
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    3dcad said:
    Am I the only one who is constantly struggling with inserting parts into assembly? Search is useless since it shows all the parts in the world (public) and there's no folder structure in insert dialog. Only labels, which are very handy but not prompted to add when creating new document.

I would like to see very soon in insert dialog:
    - Search only My documents 
    - Folder structure
    and
    - Ability to add labels to new doc in naming dialog (before opening doc)
    Hi @3dcad - insert dialog does have search in "created by me"?

- see folders - yes please
    - add labels when inside a doc - yes please

Can you create IRs?

Thanks,
    Neil.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Duh, never clicked on My Onshape :flushed:  - there was folder structure and search is fine too when used from there.

I will write an IR to default there and require extra click to search public stuff, for labels I already did.
    //rami
  • Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Is there an existing improvement request for "replacing a part referenced in a drawing view"?  I'm embarrassed to ask because I might already have voted on it and can't remember like so many other things these days!
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @Bill_Martin I created a ticket for you.  This is a separate improvement for drawings and something in the plans to deliver on.