Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dealing with employers

This is my first semester using Onshape in a college freshmen design course.  Students are frustrated by employers responses.  I'm working on training them with feedback on why we're doing this. 

I'm also planning on encouraging students to have a few projects tagged as demo pieces with the mobile app.  I hope that showing the part, feature tree, assembly, drawing, version control, etc in the app will be very effective in getting through to employers.  Anyone else getting push back?  How are you dealing with it?

Comments

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    What pushback are you receiving from employers? What would these employers like to see?

If students enable "Link sharing" than anyone with a link can view the model without an account. This should allow employers to jump into the document and see what the students are designing.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • kate_leipold_ritkate_leipold_rit Member Posts: 36 EDU
    TimRice said:
    What pushback are you receiving from employers? What would these employers like to see?

If students enable "Link sharing" than anyone with a link can view the model without an account. This should allow employers to jump into the document and see what the students are designing.
    Perhaps push back isn't the right word for it.  I think it was more of a "Onshape? Never heard of it." kind of a brush off.  The students are aware they can share files with anyone.  I am working with the students on coaching them how to sell their skills as a benefit, not a detriment.  

And of course - the goal is on teaching design intent.  I think a very quick demo, even on the mobile app, would very quickly confirm that the students are well versed in parametric 3d modeling.  
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2018
    True, Onshape does have a slight stigma to the unknowing. They assume because it's not AutoDesk, SolidWorks, or Unigraphics it must be a toy.
    I have been trying to convince the people at my work that it is better than what they "think" a web browser app can be for the last couple years.
    They are impressed at the speed I can get things done with it, but are too stigmatized to actually open it and give it a go.

We are interviewing a new kid fresh out of school and I was surprised to hear he was familiar with Onshape and Solidworks.
    Although his class was in Solidworks and he only "Heard" of Onshape. It's good to know it is starting to become a household name.

Best they can do is understand how to sell to their employer they have a strong knowledge on parametric sketch/feature/assembly/drawing/BOM in theory and in practice. Try and avoid "I only used Onshape" or "I only used "Inventor". I don't care what cad package they leaned when we take someone on. I just need to know how quickly I can get them up to speed. Even those who claim to know SolidWorks and have been using it for "5 Years" I have let go after 2 or 3 weeks because they didn't know the first thing about parametric modeling as a whole bundle of basic skills.

Let them know as long as you have confidence in yourself, and you can prove you know your way around a model. The software is just a tool. Doesn't matter if you use a spanner wrench, or a socket wrench. If you can do the job with any tool they are given, they should have a better time convincing an employer they are worth a try.

Edit: I guess I should have read the whole thread. Looks like I repeated @brian_brady, sorry  :p
  • Markku_LMarkku_L Member Posts: 32 PRO
    I think it's quite nice "reference" to say that, "well, Onshape was started by guys who started SOL****RKS".
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Perhaps push back isn't the right word for it.  I think it was more of a "Onshape? Never heard of it." kind of a brush off.  The students are aware they can share files with anyone.  I am working with the students on coaching them how to sell their skills as a benefit, not a detriment.  

If a potential employer hasn't heard of Onshape, maybe a blessing in disguise.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    If I recall correctly also SolidWorks was in similar position.. and whole 3D modeling was (is still) something many employers have never heard of :neutral:  
    //rami
  • anthony_botting312anthony_botting312 Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I gave an OnShape workshop to the entire freshmen class in BioMedical Engineering at UT San Antonio just last week. It worked great and I believe this collaborative and cloud enabled tool is a big part of a big future in CAD and CAE. I'm a certified SW Instructor and we use that and CREO/ProE at work. I emphasized the process in parametric solid modeling, and not the picks - as others mentioned, the design paradigm is the same. Employers will get on board soon enough and I believe it's important for new engineers coming-in to the market to know about the latest technology. A few of us are using it at work for basic design and development - we are very, very impressed we can show customers and share designs with tablets and phones and instantly. It's really something to see that and show it. The sharing and collaboration is (I believe) one of the BIGGEST technology enablers, esp. for teams. I have never seen anything like this (can you say Google Drive =Sharing?).  So development of this product went like this: people start Pro/E; some jump ship to start SolidWorks; some jump ship to start OnShape; OnShape is acquired by Pro/E. Full circle. Now, OnShape has financial backing of a really, really big company. That really says something about this technology and where it may go and how big it may get. Nuff said, right?