Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Surface of thicken

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
I created a part (first attempt) via a loft and thicken. I attempted to extrude the end faces of the part to add cylinders to the part but was unable to select the faces of the part to extrude or to select the faces to make new sketches. Shouldn't that be possible? Thanks, Scotty.

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    geometrically, these "end" faces aren't planar. Make your 2 circles the same diameter, that'll make the end faces planar and you'll be able to select the end faces as sketch planes.

You could draw 2 circles on a sketch, loft between them, and they'll be planar. Build all surfaces and then enclose the volume. This way you are totally in control of your geometry.

Try and build without thicken surface.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Lofting to create a planar face, well that didn't work.

So to create a planar surface from a sketch, you use offset with a 0 offset value. Also when lofting between the 2 circles, the surface hour glassed on me because I didn't have any vertices to control surface starting points. I added 2 additional points to each sketch to allow the use of vertices in the loft command. Once I got the 4 surfaces defined, I enclosed the volume taking it from knitted surfaces to a solid volume.

Lastly, I create a sketch on the end face, your original question.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @robert_scott_jr_ - you may be over-thinking this. You could create your part using a series of extrudes with draft, but you could also complete the entire thing with one sketch (of the cross-section) and one revolve.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    billy2 Thanks for the explanation.

NeilCooke That's a good idea. My train of thought was that I have part#1 (A cylinder of 2.15 inches I.D., wall not critical) and I have part #2 (A cylinder of 2.27 inches I.D., wall to match that of part#1). I need to join the two, wall thickness the same throughout. I'm gonna try your scheme and perhaps I'll be able to retain the concept in the future.

Thanks, Guys.

P.S. Tried it. Revisit document if you wish
    edited November 2018
    @robert_scott_jr_ I think Neil wants to get you back into the world of solid modeling. It's where most people spend their time. They do call it "solid modelling" after all.

One of these days you may venture back into the world of surfaces, maybe not today, it was nice to see you dip your toe into the vastness of surfacing, we'll miss you, come back soon.

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Adieu :'(