Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft Question

peter_patonpeter_paton Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
OK, Total newbie to any CAD software, trying to work out how to loft between two profiles - called "Upper Scraper" in public documents.

I can get a loft to happen between the faces, but always with a twist effect.  I have had no success trying to add guides (I used construction lines) but could not tie them to the profiles - if I changed the view the lines remain on a different plane to the profiles.

I have watched several tutorials but can't get my head around this so any help will be appreciated! 

Pete 

Best Answers

Answers

• peter_patonpeter_paton Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Hi Mike,
    Many thanks for the advice. both on the question and posting guidelines.

I was using construction lines after watching a tutorial, I will need to revisit as I have obviously misunderstood! I will investigate guide curves now....

What you produced in a few minutes is exactly what I want to achieve - I only spent 2.5 hours trying and failed miserably!

Peter 

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    edited November 2018
    @peter_paton

Happy to help :)

If you do find an out-of-date tutorial, or one that conveys incorrect information, please let us know so that we can correct it for the future!

Best,

Mike
    Thanks Mike,

Another couple of hours down and still cant get it to do what you did!  I can't work out the guides thing and the tutorials I have found refer to guides previously drawn in so not much help there!  

For what I want to do today I could have drawn it with a pencil in a fraction of the time but that is not the point.  I will keep working through the basic tutorials, I am probably jumping a number of steps trying to learn by drawing parts. 

I double checked the tutorial I referred to, they used construction lines for another purpose so it was my interpretation that was incorrect, not the tutorial.  My frustration is that they all refer to using guide lines but so far I can't see how to create them.

Cheers,
    Peter  
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Tell us at which point you're stuck and folks will help :+1:
    We tend to say give it a go yourself, but if you're still struggling after 15 minutes then shout  :)
    Cheers, Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Thanks Owen, I did eventually manage to work it out - perhaps you can help with another question, same part? 

I need to angle the tip of the blade as per the construction line.  Now that it is has been extruded the trim tool doesn't appear to work.  Can you point me in the right direction? 

Thanks in advance!
    Peter 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f84c1928e7cf1cab2de987c7/w/81606af875a4dd4194c3a937/e/7e213a6f47f21ca6c363a3b1
    Many thanks Neil, worked a treat.  :)