Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What I really want is...

kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
...is a project management system that integrates CAD data, PDFs, Word, Excel etc etc, includes a Gantt chart, task lists, chat, discussions....

We do medical device design to ISO 13485 which reuires pretty much everything you do is logged, tagged and bagged. Currently we do this using a variety of ways combining Basecamp (but currently phasing to Wrike), GrabCAD Workbench, Dropbox and others. I'd really like to switch to just one online Project Management system that handles all of the above and allows access to my partners and customers (free).

Can Onshape partner with someone like Basecamp or Wrike and close the loop? There is a genuine need for this kind of thing specifically for product development of hardware as most PM systems are aimed at software/graphics/websites/construction.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2014
    I used Gantter (Google Apps) for years. That might be an integration down the road. Also @KevinQuigley‌ there has been a few request for task list or issue tracker addins to come into OS as well.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    This looks like a very promising area for us to keep an eye on. To integrate with partners and/or develop some capability inside Onshape. But not now -- still have so much to do in our core areas.
  • Options
    Ed_DanzerEd_Danzer Member, Mentor Posts: 13
    Kevin,

You really need a product knowledge product that does not exist in today's world.

I have tried several different methods and even looked at building such a product between 1997 and 2002. Currently I'm investigating using a graph database as a way to track product knowledge.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @Ed_Danzer
    Can you describe product knowledge a bit?
    Should be easy to create all kind of database programs as you can just use a weblink to open corresponding cad model with any computer. I don't have a clue when it comes to API-things but I did build an erp from scratch
     to our factory. I just searched for sql in google and decided I will own this. 2 years later it became our main software. Didn't wan't to master in php at the same time so I took external tool for creating UI.

For such functionality, I would like to see custom links to documents and tabs. For example https://cad.onshape.com/documents/[username]_[custom-link-name]
    //rami
  • Options
    onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Would love to see Google Drive integration! If we could get Google Documents (Word) and Google Sheets (Excel) natively in Onshape, hooboy! Especially if we could get dimensions driven from a cell, spreadsheet driven design.