Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 4th, 2018

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited December 2018 in New in Onshape
It's December already and while we may be nearing the end of the year, we are not slowing down! This update includes some features that have been very highly requested. Let's dive in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

FEATURE LIST FOLDERS

You can now create folders in the Feature list. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/em3bfmvn57

INSERT DISPLAY STATES INTO ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now insert assembly display states into Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/qqxp6ikpp6

MATE CONNECTOR IMPROVEMENTS

Mate connector and offset value visibility has been improved with this update. This improvement makes it easier to understand the mate connector orientation and offset while creating or editing a mate.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/dg36e7b5l2

IMPROVED USER INTERFACE FOR IMPORTED FILES

The user interface for imported file tabs has been improved with this update. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/665dirqe9d

IMPROVED TABLE BEHAVIOR IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You will now see better behavior when hovering over or selecting cells in a table in Onshape Drawings.

RHINO 6 IMPORT SUPPORT

You can now import rhino files created using Rhino 6.

ENTERPRISE FEATURES

ALLOW GUEST USERS TO BE GIVEN GLOBAL PERMISSIONS

Administrators of an Enterprise in Onshape can now add Guest users to Global permissions (except for the "Company administrator" permission). This is useful if you want to allow Guest users to create or approve release candidates, or manage other permissions.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Fantastic, thanks folks :+1:

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Awesome update!

I especially like the implementation of the feature tree folders. I can see some issue with the 'delete' & 'unpack' option of the folder getting confused and someone accidentally deleting many features. I think you should have to select all the features in the folder to delete them to ensure that the wrong selection isn't chosen. Also, the difference between the words may be confusing for non-native English speakers leading to extra confusion.

Beyond that concern, many of us have been waiting for feature tree folders!
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Awesome update!

I especially like the implementation of the feature tree folders. I can see some issue with the 'delete' & 'unpack' option of the folder getting confused and someone accidentally deleting many features. I think you should have to select all the features in the folder to delete them to ensure that the wrong selection isn't chosen. Also, the difference between the words may be confusing for non-native English speakers leading to extra confusion.

Beyond that concern, many of us have been waiting for feature tree folders!
    I was thinking the same thing. I like having both options, but they could be named better. Maybe "Delete Folder & Contents" and "Dissolve Folder" or "Unpack Folder Contents". Nice enhancements, though.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Wow, Christmas came early!

All of these Improvements are great.

Thank you for Display states in drawings :) Now I have a reason to use them :)

can't wait to start using all these and especially feature folders (next up assembly folders right?)

Didn't mind the original mate connector, but this in definitely a huge improvement, I'll take it! 
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Stoked about those feature folders!
    Thanks for the mate improvement as well, that's something I encountered but didn't realize could be improved. As always - one step ahead.
    Display states in drawings, another great addition to the line up. Thanks!
    edited December 2018
    Ok, first "can you just".  Love the new mate connector info, it's hugely useful when creating a mate, but less so afterwards, as you have to find which mate we're after and show it.  Perhaps from a long list of possible mates.

I'd like to propose that the "J" key behavior be extended. 

Currently it toggles between:-
    show no mates / show all mates

I'd like three states:-
    show no mates / show all mates / show all mates and their offset and limit info

I think this implementation would be intuitive and would lead users to discover the new mode without even seeing a training video.

Cheers,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Regarding feature folders: can we place related features together in a folder and then use the folder to create a feature pattern? In other words, can we treat the folder of features as a single feature to create other features?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @brian_brady I see where you are heading with this. Would be an interesting thing to experiment with.

Loving folders btw, now I know what config these suppressed mates are for :)

Too bad we can't nest folders (not so important in FS as it will be in ASM afaict)

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @michael_mcclain @mahir

We appreciate the input about the naming here! Rest assured that if a user accidentally selects the wrong option, the undo button will work as expected, and all work will be preserved.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Nice update! Thanks for improving tables in drawings!

This is also very useful, thanks! 
    1. Improved hide ‘---’ from Drawing title blocks while exporting to PDF and printing
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2018
    Great updates, Thankyou!!!

The folders look good, but I do like the idea of a single folder suppress and folder selection for features and configurations. 

Looking forward to trying the MC improvements. 

Drawing views with display states will come handy. 

Also, a big thanks for the '---' removal, haven't tried it yet but hopefully, now I'll be able to have multiple properties per cell on a title block and be able to mix and match properties. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Great improvements. Thanks! Display states is great news!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I just realised I can now rename default features. :)
    Did this get changed in this update?

PS: I really like the feature tree folders :smiley:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    The improved user interface for imported files is a nice improvement for this humble modeler for 3D printing purposes.
  • simon_a_chungsimon_a_chung Member Posts: 2
    Great update!  Thanks Onshape!  

Still waiting for better alignment features in drawing mode.  But well done!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements!!

@mbartlett21 you can change the name of a feature in the feature list and you can also set the name of the feature you are creating in the title of their form
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I just realised I can now rename default features. :)
    Did this get changed in this update?

Hi mbartlett21,

This has been possible since sometime in beta.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Ok, I didn't know.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Awesome feature!
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great stuff and some good points how to make further improvements.

For me naming is consistent since also tab folders have 'unpack' and we have undo & history, so no work can get lost.
    I like the idea of using folder to select, especially with configurations. 

Display states in drawings is huge, no more making copies of assy for drawings.

Mate connector improvement is something that is so obvious, one would think it has always been there =)

In Finland we actually decided to have national holiday tomorrow to really test these updates (and celebrate 101 years of independence).

//rami
    Is there any way to get feature folders with the API?
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mbartlett21 I think not yet
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    If you update an imported file, would it be possible to update the existing translated Part Studio instead of making a new one?
    This would be in the case of, for example, somewhere where I imported an external part, inserted the translated part into several assemblies, but then need to update the initial part. Currently the new geometry goes into a new translated part studio and all the assembly references need to be updated and re-mated.
    Of course, the answer to this may well be "that's infeasible, because a geometry-matching heuristic cannot be made good enough."
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lemon1324 said:
    Of course, the answer to this may well be "that's infeasible, because a geometry-matching heuristic cannot be made good enough."
    If to speak about assemblies geometry itself doesn't play a significant role in OS, all you may need - to repair several unique mate connectors in each assembly, where the part is used.
  • The Feature List folders are awesome, cleans up my long lists of features! just need folders in assemblies. The display states in drawings are great as well, will have many uses for this. The tables have come a long way, love this new update, much easier to work with now! great update.
     I'd love to be able to suppress an entire folder using the configuration manager
    This.  Configs are great but adding and removing things to them can be tedious.  I've had fingers crossed for using configs to suppress an entire folder of features ever since they were announced.   Just dragging a feature into a folder to have it in a configuration would be awesome.

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Un saludo,