Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

scale, rotate, move, move and copy

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been using the transform command to rotate, move, move and copy sketch entities. In my opinion it could be made better.

This is what I propose:

Select an entity and select transform command. There you could choose from a list what you would like to do (rotate, scale, move)

Rotate: you select the entity, dialog box you choose you want to rotate, select the point on the entity you want to rotate from, enter degree of rotation,choose if you want to copy or not.

Move: you select the entity, dialog box you choose you want to move, select the point on the entity you want to move from, enter x and y coordinates, choose if you want to copy or not.

Scale: you select the entity, dialog box you choose you want to scale, select the point on the entity you want to scale from, enter scale factor, choose if you want to copy or not.

You could later add functionality such as non uniform scale,etc. but these basic steps in my opinion would make a better transform command.

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Improved sketch transformation tool would be very useful. One addition I would include is the ability to move by selecting references (for example, I'd like to select a point on my sketch entity, then select a destination point). 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @tim_hess427 - you can drag the origin of the manipulator and then snap to other geometry if that helps. If it is a point on the model you may have to create a sketch point and add a coincident constraint first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blw4bC82_sg
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke - Thanks! I was trying to do that exact thing, but I guess I just didn't get it lined up close enough to snap to the origin. I'll give it another shot.