Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Change Dimensions

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I've used a google map as background.

Now, however, I've measured something on the map in real life and I see that my dimensions are off a little. 

Is there some way to change the initial dimension I used when I defined a dimension when I imported the background image?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,306
    If you added a dimension to the image to control the size, you can just change that. Or do you mean scale the whole sketch? If you want to scale all your sketch entities you will have to do each dimension manually. Alternatively, you can scale your finished solid model using the transform command. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I measure something, it's inserting a restraint in the model. I don't really want a restraint; I just want it to show its measurements. Isn't this possible?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @famadorian

You can measure things just by clicking on them:

The measurement will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen.

The tool you are using is not a measurement tool, it is the "dimension" tool, whose purpose is to constrain geometry:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-dimension.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @famadorian a couple tricks I use:

RMB on a sketch dimension and make it driven.
    The most used, hold the shift down while dragging sketch entities to stop inserting constraints.
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    billy2 said:
    @famadorian a couple tricks I use:

RMB on a sketch dimension and make it driven.
    The most used, hold the shift down while dragging sketch entities to stop inserting constraints.
    "Driven Dimensions";) 

That's exactly what I mean;) Thanks

I want to just display the dimension and not have a constraint, and so this is called a "driven dimension". It makes sense, but it doesn't make sense that I first have to create a constraint and then convert the constraint to a driven dimension; that's just doesn't make sense.