Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Converting sheet metal parts from other CAD system

kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
Take a look at this sheet metal step assembly I've imported from another CAD program. What you'll see is exactly how the import came into Onshape except I've hidden all but one part in the design studio for clarity, and I group constrained the parts in the assembly. I'm impressed with the imports integrity. My question is this..... What's the best way to covert the imported SM part called Valve Cover Body into something I can flatten and modify in Onshape.  

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/aed3d3850b326223877df48a/w/1baac759470f104a92af513a/e/28b944c1bea014f160e1dccf

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    edited January 2019
    Measure the thickness and inside bend radius first, then create a Sheet Metal Model feature and use the Thicken option. Pick one face first and flip the thickness if it is wrong, then check the "Tangent Propagation" checkbox (you will have to set corner relief style to "simple").

EDIT: Just tried that and it didn't work - let me get back to you   :#

EDIT: There's something in the bend geometry that Onshape doesn't like (we'll take a look at it in more detail). The process detailed above works fine on geometry exported then imported back into Onshape. Another way this can be done, but it takes a little more effort, is to use Delete Face on all internal and external bends. Then use the technique above - you cannot use "tangent propagation" anymore, so you will have to select each face, then select the sharp corners to add bends. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2a21c718f8a54f17d8b2fe8d/w/125b1cb6b0d5201caaf7a0ba/e/3275417cb2835cad20b69722
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2019
    Neil, I've never had success converting imported sheet metal parts without deleting the corners first but it would be great if this was possible.  I'll follow along here and see what the outcome is. @NeilCooke
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited January 2019
    @kent_henderson
    @brucebartlett
    @NeilCooke

Please try the recognize feature on my FeatureScript here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a39db7615a2a945ffb7076c3

It will allow you to set a custom thickness, and if you do, it will also allow you to set bend allowance or deduction.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    This featurescript looks super promising. It does recognize and thicken correctly. But I end up with a bunch of little pieces where each bend is a sliver of sheet metal. I'm I attacking this incorrectly?
  • Options
    Can you try changing the rips to tangents?

IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    The FeatureScript won't work in this case due to the issues I raised above. Delete Face is the way to go with this model.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Deleting the inside and outside face of each bend seems to be the ticket.
  • Options
    Regarding MBarlett21's question. Tangent was not an option on the sheet metal context window. All the pieces came in as ripped. When I tried to change to bend it showed red. Tangent wan't an option.
  • Options
    Oh, ok. :(
    Would you like mine to delete the curved faces automatically?
    IR for AS/NZS 1100