Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can someone describe the procedure for backing up my work to my local hard drive?

I'm relatively new to OnShape and have built a project that I would like to zip up, as a milestone version, perhaps only to be loaded back to Onshape at a future date.  Is this or something similar possible, aside from just copying the project folder within OnShape?

Answers

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, why?

You don't need to create a backup of ypour projects... Onshape do that for us (and I would dare to say that with much higher levels of security ;-) )

But, you can export the main assembly and any other tab of your documents by right-clicking on the tab and selecting the format type
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    To add to that, there’s no need to copy a document to create a milestone. Create a version and give it a meaningful name (version button is top left). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of reasons that local backup might be desired:

1) Onshape changes the terms of use such that basic/free accounts lose access to existing designs.  
    2) Onshape goes out of business (very unlikely, I hope and believe).

I'm over it now mostly, but got bit when Onshape eliminated private documents for free accounts and I've personally experienced other corporate policy changes from other vendors that adversely affected me.  It is very naive to believe that policies will never change and prudent to have some sort of strategy in place in case changes do occur.  As I understand it, the only option for non-Onshape backup is to save components in neutral file formats.  It would be nice if there was a feature to automate that process.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    As I understand it, the only option for non-Onshape backup is to save components in neutral file formats. 

Neutral file format is the only format that would make sense to export.
    If Onshape changes their terms, or goes out of business, what use would you have with a native Onshape file if there is no Onshape to read it.

A feature to automate the process would be nice, I export all models for the CNC after every project release, so I would agree a tool would be handy.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tim_hutcheson Take a look to the last improvements and the Google Drive & Dropbox integration
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭

If Onshape changes their terms, or goes out of business, what use would you have with a native Onshape file if there is no Onshape to read it.

True, a native Onshape stored file wouldn't make any sense if Onshape were to disappear.  I could have phrased the original comment better.