Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

My Drawing Went Wacky Overnight

WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Have you ever come back to your drawing only to find that things weren't as you left them? Happened to me last night. Some parts have been moved and chunks of some parts are missing, as though subtracted from some other strange part, or like when doing an extrusion of several sections of a drawing and I left a few sections out. I know things were fine earlier because I made a union of a small cube with a critical area of my drawing and printed that on a 3D printer. After doing that I went into my drawing to make a few adjustments, then quit for the night. This morning it is crazy. Or maybe I am... I don't know yet if it was me or did Onshape do a little A.I. design during the night. Have you ever experienced Onshape doing funny stuff like this?

Comments

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi @Wingsy,

This should never happen. Do you have collaborators? Is it possible they changed something? Do you see any entries in the document history list that you do not expect?

If not, please open a support ticket.

Best,

Mike
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Never happened to me with Onshape - with trad.cad this happened all the time. Did you have 'update indicator' active or grey? The only thing that has sometimes made me think either I'm crazy or it's Onshape is when I forget rollback bar in the middle and jump to assy/drawings..
    //rami
  • WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I'm going to chalk it up to myfault. I've fixed it, but a couple of things I now remember being there, although not (as I remember) being something I was out to adjust. I must have done it, as it was real late and I was getting sleepy. But ya know, one can make just a teensy subtle change somewhere and it can transform your entire drawing into a rats nest. One side effect of all this is my drawing is now less of a mess. I'm getting there but my efficiency is terrible.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @Wingsy
    Document history is great just for such occasions. 
    You can find the last moment your model looked right and the change that  broke it. You can either restore the right state or insert version and branch from it, if you want to try different approaches.

• WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I didn't know that. That would have made finding my error way easier. Thanks Lana.

• bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I too have had Lana's experience - with the same cause.  However, that said, I frequently see dimensions which move slightly - sometimes as far as being on top of another dimension.  Maybe the new alignment feature will solve it.