Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude, Keep Edges

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Community Support
If I extrude something like this, the edges disappear.

What I mean is that I've specifically made cuts here that I want the extrude to keep. 

If that's not possible, then I'm not sure which workflow I should be using, cause this is a cabinet and when I attach the door to this cabinet in the assembly, I don't have the edge that I want to attach it to. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a3610a44fdd7c3eb8128d329/v/ef5ec9cd30c496a8b6f3635c/e/361a1676f80cbe423bcba51c

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    If you’re using “add” then any intersections will merge with the rest of the model. If you use “new” it will keep the edge. I think that is what you are asking?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I tried using "New", but it complains that "No merge scope selected", even though I checked "Merge with all"

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    You image says “add”?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Right, but I was using "new"; sorry, was confused. 

However, when I use "new", the edges disappear. 

Here's the result of using "new"; the edges I want disappears from the final extruded result

I want to somehow get this edge, which was in the sketch

I need this edge to put the door on. 

I can ofcourse make a whole new plane and add some geometry there, but if there is a way to get this edge, it would save me that step. 

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2019
    That or after the extrude, split the front face with the planar faces created by the extrude.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/splitpart.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thanks;)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2019
    That or after the extrude, split the front face with the planar faces created by the extrude.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/splitpart.htm
    Just as another alternative, there is a custom extrude feature that does that.  Now who wrote it?  I think it was a Jake Someoneorother, hang on a minute I'm sure it will come back to me :*

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2019
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2019
    That's the one, clever chap that Mr. J.  Someoneorother
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd