Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

selecting the face of a sketch

gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
I have come back to Learning OnShape after several months absence and am redoing some lessons for practice.  I have run into problems with my sketching.  The area inside enclosed sketch does not turn grey. I noticed this when I tried to use the extrude feature.  A few days ago I made several extrusions and everything went fine then, but I ran into problems yesterday when I went to extrude in the Coffee Cup Exercise. Clicking in the sketch region does not activate "Faces and sketch reasons to revolve."  The sketch seems to be OK except that it does not show the normal grey color within the area of the sketch. I made another simple sketch to verify, and again did not get the grey colour. I hope you can help me with the problem.

Best Answers

Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The region will turn grey when all points are joined. If any points are blue, it means they aren't joined. Can you share a screenshot of the sketch?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If you post a link to your doc we'd be happy to show you where the error is :)
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @gerald_comeau - I remember reading something similar to this in the forum a while ago, but alas I couldn't find it. Anyway, it was something to do with an out of date Linux graphics driver. Check first that your operating system, browser and graphics drivers are all up to date. Is it the same setup you were using several months ago? 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
     Thanks.  I went back to my drawing and saw that I did not have a solid line on the vertical axis.  I turned on "This Document is Shared with Onshape Support" and selected share for the document.  
    Thank-you, Neil. 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @gerald_comeau

Can you post a link to the document here?  We can check if there is some problem like Neil described or the sketch just isn't closed.

To actually open a support ticket, you need to press the "Report a bug" or "Contact Support" button from the "?" menu next to the share button.  Just sharing the document with support does not alert us :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thanks for your reply. First, on Neil's point, I have done a compatibility check on my system and it is OK.

On the drawing: I found the problem. The document was not closed.  I had only a construction line on the vertical axis.  Once I closed the document with a solid line, the grey region appeared and I was then able to successfully complete the Coffee Cup exercise. 

I don't know where to find the "?" mark that you  refer to. There is no "?" next to the share button I used.  I'm referring to  the share button towards the right hand side of the document home page. I do see a "?" with a drop down menu on top of the same page next to my picture. 

I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the OnShape website and the possibilities available to me on OnShape. I have not asked for help except in this forum here, from Learning Center listed under Categories.  I still have a lot to learn. I do not know the first thing about sharing one of my drawings.  My occasional browsing for information on the topic of sharing documents have not yielded any guidance.  Is there a course or a lesson that I can take?   
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Answer ✓
    @gerald_comeau
    You'll find instructions on posting a link to your document here : https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist#latest

Thank-you Lana, Yes, that was very useful.  I somehow expected there was more to sharing in the posts :-) I can copy and paste.    
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    @gerald_comeau

That "?" dropdown menu next to your picture is what I was referring to :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team