Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly Config Questions.

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited February 2019 in Using Onshape
Hi folks.
A couple of numpty questions, if I may, before digging in a bit further.
(Q1) Is this assumption correct? 
"We can't currently configure which parts to bring into an assembly, so the correct method today is to bring in all the options and suppress the bits we don't want."
Example:-
Hypothetical electronics product with a choice of two cases, two batteries and two PCB's
Step 1
Build parts in Partstudio.

Step 2
Make assembly with all the parts. Add configs to suppress the unwanted parts for each option
Shown here with the "all" options so we can see all the parts at once
Same assy with individual configs shown

Step 3 Optional
Top level assembly that drives the previous config for saving "favorite" configs from just one pick list

Am I approaching this from the right direction?
(Q2) Assuming I'm working along the correct lines above mating seems problematic.  In Cody's example we had a known base to mate to, so we could add individual mates and suppress everything except the one we want.  In this instance the base part is also a variable so this would create a whole heck of a lot of mates to create and suppress.  (Imagine there are 6 cases and 6 battery options...)  We can configure where on a part a mate is, but it seems to fail if I try to configure which part a mate is on.  (By which I mean the configuration will let me pick a point on a different part, but it then turns red and fails to resolve.)
Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry, should have said this is in no way a criticism, the update is wonderful, a heartfelt thank-you to anyone who played a part in getting this.  :):):)
    I'm posting to simply explore what's achievable with these new toys!

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited February 2019
    @owen_sparks - you are correct with all your assumptions. It is not possible to configure mate selections, so you need a mate for each combination. Of course, if the parts you are replacing are configurations then that is much simpler, but if you are effectively doing a "replace part" then you will have to suppress the unwanted mates. The example I posted this morning does this. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    You should be able configure the selection in mate connector and that could avoid some suppression configuration. However we don't support configuring selection in mate yet and so it won't work for parts mated through mated mate connector. Configuring instance to a different part studio/assembly is also in our radar. Will it be good enough if we automatically suppress or hide mates not referencing instances in current configuration? 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    malay_kumar said:
    Will it be good enough if we automatically suppress or hide mates not referencing instances in current configuration? 
    @malay_kumar
    I think this would be very useful. :+1:
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @NeilCooke cool thanks for the info and I'll have a look at your model :+1:

@malay_kumar automatic suppression would be great for now.  I'll try some more configuration of mates and see what works.

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I didn't realise that you could configure the selections in a mate connector - cool, but possibly a little harder to follow. I think I will update my example to use this instead of suppressing mates.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI