Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Send (Variable) Feature To Top / Folder

james_sleemanjames_sleeman Member, Developers Posts: 21 ✭✭
As we know, variables are within the feature list but I imagine that I am not alone in always wanting to have features at the top of the features list.

It would be EXTREMELY useful if you could "send feature to top (of features list)", or even "send feature to folder", where "folder" is an existing folder in the features list.  Currently the only way is to drag-and-drop, which if you have hundreds of features is a real pain.

Alternatively you can "roll to feature" somewhere, create your variable, and then roll back to where you were, but this is quite inconvenient especially if you were already working in a rolled state since you have to remember that, or you have two windows open on the project one creating a sketch and one used for creating variables on the fly (until such time as we can create variables on the fly from within a sketch, having two windows is a quite workable solution) since if you roll in one window it also rolls in the other which is not desired.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    this has been brought up before. As it turns out, having all your vars at the top of the list is more of a slow-down than a convenience. 

every time you edit something on the tree it will need to regenerate everything below it.
    so having all your vars on top means every edit will need to generate the part studio every time.

it is much more efficient to put the var immediately before it's first use in the tree.
    then just type "var" in the search bar, it will then filter the whole tree and give you a nice easy list.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If it makes you feel better I attended that webinar, understood the content and still put variables at the top of the feature tree for ease of use and because not doing so feels wrong. :(

Was wondering about putting them in the correct place as John describes but driving them with configuration variables so you get a nice interface at the top. Dunno what that would do for performance?
    O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, position of variables in history gives the ability to control the scope for regeneration. but since variables are really something important among other features we could have a default label in feature search bar
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it makes you feel better I attended that webinar, understood the content and still put variables at the top of the feature tree for ease of use and because not doing so feels wrong.
    I beleve in the future there will be a "reference scope" area of the UI in feature three or somewhere else, and it sould be a good place to have variables category there among other special objects
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov that sounds good to me.
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @owen_sparks Configuration variables are much more efficient than regular variables - they only regenerate a Part Studio from the point at which they are used. For example, if a configuration variable is referenced in the very last feature and is changed, only the very last feature is regenerated. However, if you use a lot of variables, your Feature List will get very small very quickly. Trade off.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke
    Could we have a "send to just before when this variable is referenced" feature?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Thanks Neil.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    The other down side to config vars is you will need to set defaults every time, or remember every value when inserting into an assembly or drawing.
    to me that is a huge negative to config vars in lieu of tree vars.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @john_mcclary good point - didn't consider that

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    The other down side to config vars is you will need to set defaults every time, or remember every value when inserting into an assembly or drawing.
    to me that is a huge negative to config vars in lieu of tree vars.
    True, but if you create a 2nd Configured Partstudio that only has a single pick list of configs that drives the 1st PS then you can have a list of "favorites" to drop into an assembly :):)
    HWM-Water Ltd
    That seems pretty complicated just to avoid typing "var" into a search bar...  ;)
    Yeah, but if you have a file with 10 variables it means you don't need to set them every time you insert a common variant
    HWM-Water Ltd