Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean Union

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I don't understand why union doesn't work here to bring all these parts together?;)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d6022aa6ddb14022f3bdc386/v/512b3e1860a90572e15ac4fd/e/cd432193c4283b12a46ecbe8

Tagged:

Best Answer

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try changing extrude 5 from a surface to a solid.
    Pretty sure Boolean does not apply to surfaces since there is no volume to add or subtract.

Answers

Answer ✓
    Pretty sure Boolean does not apply to surfaces since there is no volume to add or subtract.
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    wow, I didn't see that it was a  surface. 

Still, it doesn't work;)

I've rechecked all extrudes and they're all solids now: 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d6022aa6ddb14022f3bdc386/v/6c97b54831dd4a0ef5090ca9/e/cd432193c4283b12a46ecbe8
    Sorry, got it now. 

I created a new Boolean and now it's all AOK;) Thanks
    I do wonder though, do I need to model this way?

Shouldn't I be able to model it as a single object from the start, instead of merging them together at the end?

It's the extrude option that creates so many separate objects. 
  • KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    If you make Extrude 5 before Extrude 4 then you can use Add instead of New. That way you get 1 closed body everytime.
    G
    M
    T
    Y
    EnglishPolishSwedish
    EnglishPolishSwedish
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters
    Sure;) Got it. Thanks;)
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO

Shouldn't I be able to model it as a single object from the start, instead of merging them together at the end?

I've seen a few of your models where you have had questions and I've wondered why you choose to boolean your cabinets together instead of making assemblies from all the separate parts.

Also you can avoid the boolean operation by using Add when Extruding instead of New and merging the parts together there.

I've seen a few of your models where you have had questions and I've wondered why you choose to boolean your cabinets together instead of making assemblies from all the separate parts.

Also you can avoid the boolean operation by using Add when Extruding instead of New and merging the parts together there.

I have 4 parts here: the cabinet, the hangers and two doors.

I don't think assembly of the hangers is something I should do, cause they are welded together. 

I do agree that boolean to bring it together is wrong, so I'll try to "add" when extruding and making sure they they intersect, and that I first model the intersecting geometry;)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d6022aa6ddb14022f3bdc386/w/a0b298083f9648005a11ca89/e/08385b13afc990f3ca782804

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @famadorian I don't know your use case is why I was curious. If you're just modelling them for your own needs and don't need to know how to construct the cabinet, your methods are fine. But if the models are intended for constructing the cabinets, I think you would want an assembly so you can detail each part that goes into making it. And a weldment is really just another type of assembly.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I used to do a lot of 'single part modeling' to see the looks before creating parts file by file and adding 3 mates between each two parts to complete assembly.

But with Onshape it's so easy to pull whole cabinet from single sketch and select between 'New' and 'Add' that it just makes no sense to create those dumb solids anymore. From part studio to assembly takes no more than 10 seconds to add whole ps, select all, add group mate - finished and ready for manufacturing drawings with full part list.
    //rami