Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape as a drafting tool for Laser cut Metal Parts

I teach Design In Metal to Y9-10's students and looking to use Onshape  for students to design parts for Laser Cutting outside school.
Question: Is it advantage to create Groups?

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2019
    Not sure why you'd want groups.

Me, teaching a class on laser cutting, teach'm sheet-metal. Onshape's a 3D cad tool and I think 2D is boring. With sheet metal, you can flatten 3D to 2D and cut. Invest in a cheap break and fold'm up.

Your "A" students, let me send'm practice stuff. I love laser cutters and making cool stuff.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You could just export a 2D sketch if you like also, if you don't want to make it 3D.
  • john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
    billy2 said:
    Not sure why you'd want groups.

Me, teaching a class on laser cutting, teach'm sheet-metal. Onshape's a 3D cad tool and I think 2D is boring. With sheet metal, you can flatten 3D to 2D and cut. Invest in a cheap break and fold'm up.

Your "A" students, let me send'm practice stuff. I love laser cutters and making cool stuff.

Hi Billy2,
    Yes I agree with you. Starting with a simple Name Tag and then will let the individual students develop new skills and the Sheet Metal Tool looks great. Thanks for you reply.
  • john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
    You could just export a 2D sketch if you like also, if you don't want to make it 3D.
    OK, Yes had thought of that and it is really good to know that this is an option....but seeing the finished project is way cool. Thanks again.