Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

duct segmented elbows

digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
someone sent me how they did it in solidworks and wanted to know if the formula method is available in onshape 

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited March 2019
    Yes, but you will need to make variables rather than explicitly calling out "D3@First GOre" for example
    edited March 2019
    To be honest, I don't see why you need any variables or equations... that can be defined with only one dimension

• digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
    how did you do that?

edited March 2019
    All segments are tangent to the radius construction line.
    All 3 center segments are equal to each other.
    the end two segments are equal to each other and perpendicular to the horizontal and vertical lines respectively.

Then just add a radius dimension, works with any angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpU3T7A-x64
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    This concept of sketch constraints driving a sketch solver was one of the things that got me hooked on Onshape. Before I started I was concerned that a designer needed to be a mathematician first and designer second. Not so!
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd