Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations as Variables

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
Can configurations be used as variables?

For example, if I have a cabinet height of X, can I define a drawer as X/3?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Of course, any variable, regular or configuration, can be used to drive dimensions.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Of course, any variable, regular or configuration, can be used to drive dimensions.
    Great, but how can I get to it?

How can I reference the 800mm?

I want something like variable(800mm)/#drawers

Also, here I want to use the variable to drive this extrude as well, instead of making another configuration variable 

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    you would make a configuration variable

Give it some initial values and ranges

Now you can reference it anywhere in the part studio with the name shown

And you can change its value from above the tree

The table style configuration you have shown is not a variable. It is the current value of the dimension you have configured, and it cannot be read directly.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, here I want to use the variable to drive this extrude as well, instead of making another configuration variable 
    You can't use configuration list value as variable, but you can configure variable as list type.
    An alternative suggestion to @john_mcclary 's which still lets you use a single table:
    1. Add a variable feature to your Part Studio, name it "length"
    2. Right click the variable value > click Configure by "Dimensions"
    3. Assign values to the new variable's column as you've done to the Sketch 1 column above 
    4. Now, you can use "#length" with those values anywhere in the Part Studio
    John is right that in Onshape, you can use multiple configuration inputs to achieve a more flexible design. If these dimensions are independent, and if you want a part with any dimensions to be insertable into an assembly, then his solution with multiple inputs of "Length", "Width", etc. will work better overall.
    Right, thanks, using a variable;)