Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mate connector owned by multiple parts

Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
Is there a reason a mate connector can't be owned by multiple parts in a part studio? I end up having multiple mate connectors at the same location for when I need to make exploded assemblies.

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Cris,

Say you have a Mate connector owned by two parts. After you add them to an assembly, when you drag one, what happens?
    Support & QA
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Jason_S said:
    Say you have a Mate connector owned by two parts. After you add them to an assembly, when you drag one, what happens?
    It should not be one mate connector body for two parts, MC feature should add a mate connector for each body selected and in the assembly each MC stays attached to its own body.

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    I don't see why it would behave any differently than if I inserted 2 of the same part. When I insert 2 copies of Part A into an assembly each instance has it's own mate connector associated. Dragging one part has no effect on the other.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I want this as well. I quite often create 2 mate connectors in a part studio on top of each other which is a pain. It would be great if you could just select multiple bodies and each body gets an MC in that position for inserting into an assembly. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I think this might be more accurately described as "allow silent internal copies of mate connectors" as a convenience feature.

Looking at the source code in mateConeector.fs, looks like it would only require removing the max picks in the owner part selection and adding a for-each loop when calling opMateConnector.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @lemon1324
    I like the thought, but to me half the benefit of setting explicit mates in a PS is being able to name them something sensible. It'd be nice to have a "get" name parameter for the target parts that we could use for part of the name of the mate.
    Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I'd be happy with the mate connector's owner being a surface. Why are solids so important?