Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fastened Mate Connector (45 Degree Rotation)

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I have modeled a corner cabinet and trying to use a fastened mate connector to place it in an assembly. 

The corner cabinet would need to be rotated 45 degrees here, to be able to fit inside the corner, but it only allows me to rotate 90 degrees?

Any pointers as to what I can do here?

I can't link to the document, cause it's a really big one, but if needed, I can create a new test document

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If you define a mate connector first then that has a rotate field in it.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    If you expand the mate connector in the instance list you will see 2 mate connectors. Edit one of those and change the angle to 45 degrees. 
    Ah, I found rotation under "move";) Got it; thanks
    NeilCooke said:
    If you expand the mate connector in the instance list you will see 2 mate connectors. Edit one of those and change the angle to 45 degrees. 
    This worked then, but somehow now, there is no expansion possible;)

Have I done something special to this mate?

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    The Mate Connectors that you've selected for Fastened 2 are owned by the Parts (not created in the Assembly as part of the Mate).  Fastened 1 has MCs that were created "on the fly" in the Assembly.

That's why they don't show as editable. You'll need to edit the part(s) and make any changes there, then come back to the assembly. 
    The Mate Connectors that you've selected for Fastened 2 are owned by the Parts (not created in the Assembly as part of the Mate).  Fastened 1 has MCs that were created "on the fly" in the Assembly.

That's why they don't show as editable. You'll need to edit the part(s) and make any changes there, then come back to the assembly. 
    Hmm, ok, this fixed it, but this doesn't make sense to me, at all;) 

I created the mates in the part because it it easier to find the exact points where the mates should be. 

However, when I use the parts in the assembly with a fixed mate, I expect I should be able to rotate it, to fit in the assembly;)

There's something I'm missing here..

ok, I'm not understanding this. 

Should I change the part every time I want it rotated a little differently in whatever assembly I insert it into?

I don't understand the workflow if I can't change the rotation in the assembly
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Do you need all of those mate connectors in the part?

They look like they are just on the corners of the face. You shouldn't need to make them in the part studio unless you have future plans to add contours or fillets to the parts and you want them to stay put in the assembly.

Otherwise press "K" on your keyboard to hide all the MCs and create the mate in the assembly without the part mate connectors.

Otherwise, the best solution in my opinion is to change fastened to revolute, then add a limit of 45° in the min and max values.
    Do you need all of those mate connectors in the part?

They look like they are just on the corners of the face. You shouldn't need to make them in the part studio unless you have future plans to add contours or fillets to the parts and you want them to stay put in the assembly.

Otherwise press "K" on your keyboard to hide all the MCs and create the mate in the assembly without the part mate connectors.

Otherwise, the best solution in my opinion is to change fastened to revolute, then add a limit of 45° in the min and max values.
    Ok, used the Revolute mate, but found it weird to have to use that to really fasten it;) It doesn't seem elegant. 

Anyways, thanks.

I've reduced the number of mates to only one side. I have one mate every 10cm to put the drawers. The way I did it, was first use a linear pattern, then attach a mate to each instance. There's probably a smarter way to do it;)