Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to drag/reposition the workspace

cheryl_krampitzcheryl_krampitz Member Posts: 2
edited April 2019 in Drawings
Hi there! I've been working through the first Onshape learning path, and I have been unable to figure out how to drag the workspace so I can reposition what I'm looking at (basically, moving within the plane with respect to the origin). I can see them doing it in the tutorials, so I know it can be done, but right now I'm reduced do this dance of move the pointer/zoom/pointer/zoom until I kind of get it moved to where I want. I'm on a Mac, Chrome, free account. Many thanks to whoever can clue me in. Edit: I just saw how I clicked the wrong button and added this to the discussion category, not the Ask a Question category, and I cannot figure out how to delete this post. My apologies.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Middle mouse button is Pan. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Welcome to the forum/Onshape :)

Don't worry so much where you posted your discussion. We only get upset if you don't spell Onshape with a capital O :wink:

• cheryl_krampitzcheryl_krampitz Member Posts: 2
    LOL John, I will be very careful with spelling! Neil, your comment is making me wonder if perhaps the mouse I'm using isn't adequate. I've been using this trackpad for years, and grabbed one of my husband's spare mice (?) because the trackpad is difficult for drawing (to me). This mouse has left and right buttons, and a wheel in the middle. Rolling the wheel zooms the space, and push/roll rotates the model. I've dabbled with throwing in a shift, alt, ctrl, or command, but haven't landed on anything that works. Thank you for answering, so I know what is *supposed* to happen, and I'm not just missing something. I appreciate it.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited April 2019
    does your mouse wheel depress? that would be middle mouse,
    otherwise with a track pad (it is kind of a dexterity trick) you can hold down ctrl wit your left hand, then hold right click with the track pad, while using your index finger to pan.

sounds worse than it is. but it is do able.

good luck

edit: I suppose you could use right ctrl and right click with your right hand... guess I've been doing it the hard way  :s
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2019
    @cheryl_krampitz

ctrl + right click is also a pan.

Here is a guide to our view manipulation:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/moving.htm

You can also go check that your user settings haven't been changed.  If you click on your name in the top right corner and then click "My Account", then "Preferences" in the left sidebar, you can scroll down to the "View manipulation" section and see what the current settings are, as well as some other options they can be changed to:

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team