Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Views of multiple configurations of a part (or multiple parts) on a single sheet of a drawing

Kurtis_HarrisKurtis_Harris Member Posts: 7 PRO

I seem to have hit a wall regarding configurations and drawings.

I have set up all the necessary configurations for a part. Now, I am attempting to create a drawing that has a single page showing the same orthographic view of the same part in more than one configuration and one Section View that is Typical of all configurations.

It appears that even though I can create multiple configurations for a part, I can only show one configuration (or one part) per drawing. Is this correct, or am I just overlooking something?

I have attempted to:

1. Change the Configuration and then go back to the drawing to insert a new View. It would still only insert the same Configuration I initially selected.
  2. Create a completely separate Part with a second Configuration. It would still only insert the same Part I initially selected.
    Tried creating both parts in the same Part Studio and in different part studios.
  3. Create a separate Sheet in the drawing and insert a new View. It would still only insert the same Part/Configuration from the first Sheet.
    Unfortunately, this is not what I need even if it did work, but I was trying whatever I could think of.
  4. Create an Assembly with the different parts set apart from each other, and create a drawing of the Assembly.
    This worked if I was only showing the views set up in the Assembly, but not when I needed to insert a section, because it was sectioning the whole view, not just one of he Parts. I was also having difficulty aligning the separate Parts to look properly aligned in the drawing, even with some back and forth. It seems like there should be an easier way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Kurtis Harris

Best Answer

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Try inserting a new view from the insert dialogue and select the configuration here.  That works with assemblies and should be the same for parts. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    You need to select the configuration in the insert view dialog, then hit the "Generate" button. Changing the configuration in the part/assembly doesn't have an effect on the drawing.
  • Kurtis_HarrisKurtis_Harris Member Posts: 7 PRO
    brucebartlett,
    Thank you for your reply, but when I go to Insert View, the only option I have is the Part I used when I placed the first View, and it only inserts a view of the same Part with the same Configuration. There is no option to select a different Configuration, or a different Part. This is the case whether the drawing was created by selecting Create Drawing of... from the Part Studio or created by selecting Create Drawing... from the Insert New Element menu.
    Cris_Bowers,
    Thank you for your reply, but I only have one option when I select Insert View, the same Part/Configuration I used to create the first view.
    Cris_Bowers,
    I figured I had to be missing something simple. The Update from this workspace...button from the main toolbar was lighting up yellow (and I had clicked it), but the icon you indicated was not. Also, I was clicking the down arrow to the right of the Part name, instead of the icon you indicated. That gives me exactly what I needed.
    Thank you again.

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    No problem. This is probably something they could improve upon to make more obvious.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes could be easier, took me a lot of time to work this out a few days ago.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977