Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Perform a move face on sheet metal

Raphael_MassicotteRaphael_Massicotte Member Posts: 8 PRO
Hi,

I'm trying to perform a move face on sheet metal (more precisely an offset). When I do it manually, there's no problem but i've tried opMoveFace, moveFace and opOffsetFace and all of those throw an error that active sheet metal are not allowed.

Before i go looking in the std doc to find out how Onshape does it, does anybody know how I can do it easily?

Thanks

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Raphael_Massicotte

Operations generally do not work on sheet metal, so opOffsetFace and opMoveFace would not really be expected to work.  The implementation of our sheet metal features lies at the feature level itself, so moveFace should work for you.  Can you add a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Raphael_MassicotteRaphael_Massicotte Member Posts: 8 PRO
    edited May 2019
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

Can you give me an example to offset a face using moveFace? I'm getting 
    Precondition failed (definition.moveFaceType is MoveFaceType) but I can't find how to define the moveFaceType correctly. I'm probably missing something stupid.

Thanks
    I think I got it to work I was indeed missing something stupid
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Always helpful to say what you worked out so if someone else makes the same mistake they don't search the forum, find the perfect thread, get to the bottom and think, "oh good, I'm glad the original poster worked out what to do..." o:)
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Basically when moving from opOffsetFace to moveFace, i needed to add the definition "moveFaceType": MoveFaceType.OFFSET . I didn't write it correctly at first hence why it wasn't working.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thank you :+1:
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd