Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Keyshot / Rendering

kinsleymarkkinsleymark Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
I'm sure this will be further down the list of priorities, but I would love to see some sort of rendering support.

Fusion360 has an internal rendering engine (and cloud rendering access)
SolidWorks has internal PhotoView360

I do not think that creating a brand new rendering engine like them is necessary any time soon. However, it would be great to get a LiveLink connection to Keyshot. Currently, I can export a model and open it in Keyshot to render. This works OK, but it would be great to have that direct link in order to instantly send any model changes to the render scene.

Again, not urgent, but maybe something that the Keyshot team can help develop?

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    https://www.onshape.com/partners/technology

KeyShot is part of our technology partners.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for live linking. I'm using Keyshot by exporting .bip from cad but if my model changes I need to export and assign materials again.

In my opinion material info should be linked between cad and keyshot, it would help people who use same materials often in their parts. This way you would need to assign material only once and then you would have covered density, weight and looks. Custom material is needed of course.

I would like to use keyshot also for exploded view, section views and other 'screengrabs' for customers. So it should be tightly connected 'one click' process to move model into quick rendering.

+1 also for not urgent at this point, but something to be considered while setting up part properties with material information.
    //rami
  • andyandy Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Maxwell render has a plug in SKD. It would be great to see this come to OS.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Just tell OnShape that Fusion 360 has a direct Keyshot link, as has GrabCAD...I expect it soon
  • JJJJ Member Posts: 5
    Fusion 360 actually has a pretty decent path tracing render engine. I am also a big fan of PhotoView360 since it is simplified version of the Modo render engine. Since this is a cloud based product a cloud based renderer seems to make the most sense as it will be much faster than most individuals setups.  Although Keyshot live linking would be nice since it has a large user base. OTOY would be another good partner although I think they might have a relationship with Autodesk. RedShift is another. Really any path trace engine with good PBR material library and good integration (drag and drop materials, easy light/camera setup, HDRI environments and studio presets) would cover users needs. 
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    jramsley said:
    https://www.onshape.com/partners/technology

KeyShot is part of our technology partners.
    What does this mean exactly?  Will we still use keyshot as a standalone product with a quick import option?  Will keyshot work inside OS?
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @Coleman. We are working on providing good integrations with our technology partners. A "good" integration will allow Onshape and our partners to communicate over secure Application Programming Interfaces (or APIs) so that you can take advantage of the services provided by our parters without having to export and import your data. For example, you may just be able to right-click on an Onshape tab and select "Render" and let us do the rest.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    @John Rousseau  Sounds really good, is this in progress with Luxion? 
    //rami
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    As you may have noticed, we aren't going to comment on the progress we are making with any of our partners. A good partner relationship requires good technical integration and good business agreements. Both of these take time and diligence. We will be rolling out our partner integrations as soon we possibly can.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • andyandy Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Hi John,

While it might be great to click render inside OS, with key technology partners, it would be great if support was included for other render platforms that people already use. Integrating maxwell export would be simple using their SKD and this could be a great interim solution while you work out the workflow issues of composing/texturing an entire scene for render from within OS.

• RaviTRaviT Member Posts: 1
    Keyshots Live Linking is great but it is not as well integrated as PV360 and SolidWorks.I have experiece with Keyshot + SolidEdge (Shipped with Pro and Premium) .Works well if you want to do everything in session.

Regards
    Ravi T
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    That is just some of the new features in Keyshot 6. Not all.
    @Kevin Quigley 
    Yep, it says that in the end.. Took it from the email and linked here to maybe open up some conversation on topic..
    //rami
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    We don't have a render in OnS, we don't have decent mesh exporter... so for now I will use Lagoa
    Example (one minute shot):we can import to Lagoa step assembly.
    Lagoa licensing is similar to Onshape, for free you get 100GB and 10 projects (muliple scenes in project)