Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Displaying dimension units

howard_moskovitzhoward_moskovitz Member Posts: 2
I’m new to onshape. Is there any way to get the dimension tool to display the unit type? It only show a number but if I’m mixing SAE and metric I don’t know which is which.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    No, only if you enable dual dimensions from the drawing properties panel (wrench icon on right of screen). You can set dual dimensions individually for each dimension too, using the popup icon next to the dimension. Please create an improvement request in the category on the right -->
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2019
    Are we talking in a PartStudio sketch or in a drawing?  If PS then I don't believe so but it'll show whatever the document is set to.  Doh, just saw you posted this in the drawings forum so that answers that question.

I'll let someone who knows about drawings jump in.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 92 PRO
    I think this is really important. I can't believe there is not a tick box to "show units in all dimensions".
    I mean, most sensible people work in mm right?  ;)  but what happens if we send stuff over the pond. There is a disaster lurking here, waiting to happen, I know it. 
    Can anyone direct me to a feature upvote? there must be one? 
    Thanks
  • Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    While OS allows for mixed units entry in every place where a length value can be entered, the resultant value is always displayed back in workspace units. In designs where mixed units data entry is done it makes a lot sense to retain/control the units display of a value to be consistent with how it was entered, or intended to be  meaningfully displayed back to the viewer. 

Likewise when a value is entered as an computed expression, hovering the mouse over the input field, or a displayed dimensional constraint in a sketch, should popup a "tool tip" containing the expression.  One should not have to edit the data field to inspect the underlying expression. Also, the displayed value of a computed expression should have a different color/font to differentiate it from non-expression entries.      
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,500 PRO
    StephenG said:
    One should not have to edit the data field to inspect the underlying expression. Also, the displayed value of a computed expression should have a different color/font to differentiate it from non-expression entries.      
    I made an IR about exactly this: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18764/improve-sketch-dimension-display-show-sketch-dimension-expression-on-mouse-over

At least Onshape saves the actual expression (a big step up compared to SolidWorks which only stores the result of any expression entered in an input box!)