Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D Mouse Center of Rotation

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
It seems like the default center of rotation for a 3D Connexion Space Mouse is the origin. This works well if your part is pretty centered and you're zoomed out to see most of it. If I try to zoom in and edit a little detail it becomes unusable. Any suggestions? btw, I'm not a big Fusion user, but I did try this and noticed it works much better because it dynamically updates the center of rotation as you move around the part. I can't think of a scenario where I'd want the center of rotation to be off the screen.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    It turns out this behavior to center on the origin was a regression that has been fixed in a recent 3DConnexion driver update.  See https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/48922#Comment_48922 for more details on updating the driver.  (There is an extra step needed beyond simply updating.)
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Thanks, @Evan
    I updated my driver, but I'm having trouble finding the file they said to delete. I'm looking for the following:
    </code>~/Library/Preferences/3Dconnexion/navlib/Onshape.user.config</pre>but only see<br><pre><code>~/Library/Caches...

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Thanks, @Evan
    I updated my driver, but I'm having trouble finding the file they said to delete. I'm looking for the following:
    </code>~/Library/Preferences/3Dconnexion/navlib/Onshape.user.config</pre>but only see<br><pre><code>~/Library/Caches...

That's all you see? Maybe it's a permissions thing. Can you open a terminal and enter:

cd ~/Library/Preferences

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @NeilCooke
    Thanks. I did that and pressed enter, but I'm not seeing anything different, granted, I'm not a master with Terminal. What am I hoping will happen?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    edited January 2019
    Sorry, type 

ls 

to list the contents of the folder. You can then continue to lower folders using cd <foldername>
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @NeilCooke
    Thanks, I was able to get it figured out and delete that file, but the mouse is still not rotating in an ideal way when zoomed way in. I'm not sure if it's a bug or just how it is. It seems like the CoR is maybe the center of the assembly bounding box. Should the center of rotation be somewhere on the model that's close to the center of my screen? It still seems like the CoR is off the screen when I'm zoomed in.
  • jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 49 PRO
    same here, the CoR is not changing depending on the zoom level, and that's not right. I don't think it does that in Solidworks, the CoR should always recalculate itself to the center of the screen ideally, am I dreaming?
  • NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    3DConnexion Properties to the rescue with their grayed out yet functional settings tab and checkbox for auto rotation center:

Now zooming in recenters rotation away from the origin right to what you are actually zoomed into.