Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I pattern this part?

luis_cunhaluis_cunha Member Posts: 2
Hi all, 

I'm fairly new to both OnShape and CAD modelling in general, I've been trying to pattern a sheet metal part with a hexagonal shape (perforation), so far I've worked out that sketching and extruding (subtracting) the shape, linear and circular patterns aren't the way to do it, it seems to me that the feature script Fill Pattern is probably the right way about it.

I've read a few posts on here about it, i've also watched the webinar on patterns but i can't seem to get that Fill Pattern feature script to behave properly, the most annoying thing is that i thought i had a fairly simple job to do, fill a triangular plate with hexagonal holes, not quite sure how i'm going to achieve the end goal once i start trying to leave bits of plate without perforation...

Anyway here's the link to my document, I would appreciate some feedback / ideas / advice.

Thank you!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b153f154587794055045a26/w/e80e56851ba04441d819358b/e/ca367bdf458a46d2a595c788

Best Answers

Answers