Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimensioning to a slot position

Mitchell_MachelskiMitchell_Machelski Member Posts: 8 PRO
I need to dimension from the end of the part to the center of each of the (8) individual elongated slots.  Any suggestions?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5fe0392a8368230080db04a0/w/f46d42c0db832c5d921b3eb3/e/95edad4784dd459d662d2707

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    That's going to be difficult since they are not planar entities. You may have to create a sketch in the Part Studio which is in the same plane as the view in the drawing and add a point to the edges of the slots. You can then show the sketch in the view and dimension to the point.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    That's going to be difficult since they are not planar entities. You may have to create a sketch in the Part Studio which is in the same plane as the view in the drawing and add a point to the edges of the slots. You can then show the sketch in the view and dimension to the point.
    @NeilCooke
    Do points added in a sketch show in drawings?
    I thought it was only lines, arcs and spines?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @MBartlett21 - you're right of course - the workaround is to create a small circle or other entity that has a vertex.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Mitchell_MachelskiMitchell_Machelski Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Thank you for your suggestions.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited July 2019
    sometimes I'll plant a mate connector in the center of a slot and dimension from that. It will only measure with minimum distance x,y,z  so you will need to solve your hypotenuse in some cases.

Edit: Oh didn't open the link, I thought you were talking about in an assembly..
  • Mitchell_MachelskiMitchell_Machelski Member Posts: 8 PRO
    I ended up sketching construction lines at the locations of the elongated slots, I then inserted the construction lines from sketched and then made a dimension from the end of the part to the construction lines. Thanks Neil for the idea of placing a sketch in the drawing.