Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Piano Hinge tool?

digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
Anything?

Comments

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @digtalcarbon

I don’t know anything about the below company, but they look like a pretty good resource for CAD files

I was able to import the file into Onshape, and after doing a split around the pin, you could see how I was able to animate it

Here is the file I imported —
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3c5fc597ce14ae7ea9c04810/w/17b633c11bee90b2f8b79b35/e/45ac7279115939b8eda40e9e

• digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
    Hi guys,  thanks for all the help...i can get a model from McMaster Carr...what is needed is a way to keep the 3 parts of this object as one vendor part and be able to trim off the ends if needed.  so i want to bring it into my assembly as a working hinge...attach it...then trim off the ends if need be...but when making a BOM it counts it as a full length that needs to be ordered...I would also keep this in a Vendor Library doc and have it ready for any project...
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @digtalcarbon

In the future, hopefully soon, we'll be able to post OS models on the web. When this happens, you'll be able to drive the design with configurations and a vendor could easily provide variants of their product. You'll be able to use the hinge in your design.

When this happens, the world of design as we know it, will change.

It's not that far off.

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited July 2019
    @digtalcarbon

You could use a configuration variable to set the length of the usable hinge and then use the Set property custom feature to set that variable to a custom company property. I believe @MBartlett21 wrote the custom feature.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    made a config that trims off both ends of piano hinge evenly...

then I made an assembly for the length I need...

edited August 2019
    so now i can custom cut the hinge to any length all from a single source of truth