Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

F2 for rename

Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
Please make the F2 button invoke Rename ... this is so universal, and it's driving me nuts I have to rt-clk or remember Shift+n.
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Malcolm in the browser it is not a shortcut we can use.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
    I'd install a desktop client or specific browser just to gain access to more standard keyboard shortcuts!  Onshape Browser anyone?
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    lougallo said:
    Strange.
     F2 is not reserved see :https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_keyboardshortcuts.asp
    or https://css-tricks.com/snippets/javascript/javascript-keycodes/
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    On the subject, F2 works in google sheets as well.
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    lougalloMalcolm_Daniel I am a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. Please - Onshape - make them consistent. Use standards/defacto keys and make them work consistently across contexts. e.g. shift n doesnt work for renaming tabs.
    Btw. n is a nasty shortcut as it opens new window if ctrl is accidently used. 
  • thomas_aathomas_aa Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    (I had totally missed shift+N. Renaming a sketch I'm working on without having to first hover to find the little pen and then click it? Such a time saver!)

Here's a proof that F2 works and a workaround. (And a shameless plug): Add the bookmarklet for Reshape (from: https://thomasa88.github.io/reshape/ ), load a document, click the bookmark, configure [shift][N] -> [F2], Save & close, Click a feature and press F2.

Is the problem that F2 might be used for other things on some computers/browsers? Some keyboards do map all the F keys to "nifty" special functions by default :S .

Cool hack, i'll need to look at that later
  • gda_ctogda_cto Member Posts: 13 PRO
    lougallo said:
    Yes it is, many apps use F2. It's not reserved.
    lougallo said:
    Yes it is, many apps use F2. It's not reserved.
    Including Google Sheets...
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Godot game engine (open-source, MIT-licensed so the code can be referenced) also captures F2 along with every other function key + other browser shortcuts like Ctrl Shift R and F11 in its web builds.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I’ve been using computers since the 80’s and never knew F2 was often used for renaming. Ha ha. Goes to show it’s what you get used to. 
    I’ve been using computers since the 80’s and never knew F2 was often used for renaming. Ha ha. Goes to show it’s what you get used to. 
    Yea, it isn't something you need to know. The only reason I learned it was back in high school when running autoCad, Esc was a very common key to be pressed, but I would constantly fat finger F1 and get a help menu. I noticed in other programs F1 was practically universally used as a shortcut to help. So i started to test out other shortcuts to find common ones. windows used F2 to rename files and folders, excel used f2 to get direct edit access to a cell (sorta in-line with 'rename' logic) Mac threw me for a loop when I tried to rename a folder, for some strange reason they use return... that's just plain stupid, return/enter should open/execute the selected object... but I digress.

I liked to stick to using F2 once I discovered it because I am not a fan of 'slow clicking' a file to rename it. So it became natural to try F2 in other programs that have objects that can be renamed. Such as SolidWorks tree items for example. Onshape being developed by the same staff should have caught onto this shortcut from the start. But they also all seem to like macs for some reason so maybe they got brainwashed at some point  and forgot the basic shortcuts from windows :)
  • matflomatflo Member Posts: 2
    F2 would be great. One of the first things I tried was to rename features and sketches as in SolidWorks, Inventor, and Fusion360 with the F2 key. Any shortcut that keeps me from using my right hand would be great. Shift+N is not particularly ergonomic for left handed only use.
  • paulo_cmvpaulo_cmv Member Posts: 9
    There is already some shortcut to rename things?