Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to model a screw-thread?

Steen_WintherSteen_Winther Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Using Onshape
I want to model a screw-thread and am looking for sweep with revolve (a la SW) or maybe a helix, but I can't seem to find a way. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Steen_WintherSteen_Winther Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Yes John, I want to model the actual thread and also spiral springs and similar geometries. Hard to find a mechanical product without a spiral spring...
    Cheers
    Hi Ed, I agree that a cosmetic thread with revolves looks good enough for most purposes, but I really need to be able to model a spiral spring. Can't use a line of rings as a substitute...
  • Ed_DanzerEd_Danzer Member, Mentor Posts: 13
    I agree springs have to be modeled correctly and in some cases so do threads. We have several products with tapered threads, variable pitch threads and springs. Springs need to have different configurations for installed length and fully compressed in the assembly length.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Helix is critical. Moulded threads are in every product we do. We need to model them so we can 3D print them. Personally I'd prefer to see something like what Fusion360 does. SolidWorks is definitely not the standard bearer for modelled threads. FYI in Fusion I can import a SolidWorks file with a cosmetic thread and Fusion models it! Seriously impressive stuff.

FYI the best automatic thread generator I have used is on VX (or now called ZWSoft 3D).

Draw a thread profile. Choose the thread tool. Select the surface to add the thread to, choose the profile, set pitch, turns, etc, select lead in and out, root radii etc. bam. Done. Lets use that as the standard bearer.
  • len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
    and with additive manufacturing threads must be modeled for printing.
    Just wanted to let everybody know that I have finally figured out a way of modelling a spring using only Onshape. It's not particularly user friendly - or fast - but it's feasible. Take a look at how I made the (missing) spring in my carburetor for the Veco .19 :smile:
    The model is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ce24e0cbec8e45c89735d148/w/c1c671cc5fc64bd69adef18e/e/d0a4b77fc2c6452db20a1c10
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Steen_Winther Yes. I did this as a dynamic spring. More of a trick since this is not how spring are made but looks good for a demo. Here is a shot of it. I will see if I can rebuild or import in my model and share it.

I then hid the shaft and supports. It can get wonky pretty quick as well but visually looks good in small displacements.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.