Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem: opPlane() with a rotated coordSystem creates a "non-rotated" plane

gert_riegergert_rieger Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I'm trying to write a feature script that takes a curve and a point as parameters (among others), and creates a plane with the x-axis pointing in the direction of that curve's tangent at the given point.

(The motivation is, I want to then manually draw a sketch on that plane that extends the curve in some way.)

Everything works fine EXCEPT opPlane() seems to compute an x-axis of its own instead of using the one I give as part of the CoordSystem I pass in as a parameter.
To demonstrate the problem, I "debug()" the coordSystem. It's obvious that the coordSystem is rotated to match the curve's tangent, as intended. But the plane comes out "straight", that is, oriented along the global axes.

The same happens with "plane(origin, normal, x)". And the pop-up info in the feature script editor even says "Creates a plane which fully specifies its orientation"!

Unless I'm making a subtle mistake, this looks like a bug to me.

My feature script is in the tab "TangentPlane FS". A demo call is in the tab "Eye". Double-click the feature "TangentPlane 1" in the feature list to see the "debugged" coordSystem.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    gert_riegergert_rieger Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Thanks Neil! Mate connectors work for me.