Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Offsetting a face or contiguous edges

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
In https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/93/offsets-in-onshape it states that one can offset an entire face in one go.

In the first screenshot you can see that this compound shape is recognized as being a "face" when you select it, but offset won't recognize it:

In the screenshot below, you can see that when I try to select the upper edge, it is in fact not split (strangely to me), and so I cannot offset the shape that I'm looking to offset (the face highlighted in the first screenshot).

I can work around this by using the split tool, splitting at the intersections and then manually selecting each edge, but that seems tedious. 

What's the most efficient workflow here?

Best Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 692
    Answer ✓
    You can use face offset inside second sketch, if that would work for you:

Answers

• tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Rats, it gets worse. I've split my segments on their points and attempted to offset, but I'm getting a confusing error about only offsetting a "single chain at once". I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with splitting - I find that sometimes OnShape is a bit confused about which segment you want to split, when segments overlap (sort of a "stacking order" kind of issue I've seen in 2D vector drawing software).

• tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Attempt #2, again using split of the upper and lower horizontal lines. With the click-and-drag mode of Offset, not picking up that right-hand edge as being connected to the rest of the shape. Is there something special (a constraint?) that needs to be explicitly defined to connect that vertical segment with the rest of the shape?

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 692
    Answer ✓
    You can use face offset inside second sketch, if that would work for you: