Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal tab connecting two flange parts question

william_holden959william_holden959 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
I'm trying to use a tab that connects two flanges. It works (with an error) but it won't let me flatten the part. I'm open to drawing this another way. If there was a sketch bend I could do that way. Any suggestions are appreciated! (Unrelated: Once I used a sheet metal CAD that let users add flanges at 0 degrees which came in handy for doing what "tabs" is currently used for it seems.)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0eb35e825b6d71689fe188cf/w/d21bd2f3258af32ed38df233/e/58013e8c99bc00ee4aae1c01

Best Answer

Answers

• william_holden959william_holden959 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    @NeilCooke what are your thoughts about allowing a flange at 0 degrees? It would make it easy to extend an edge out where I can then add to it with something else. What is the harm in that? Also, what do you think about allowing a hem where you can draw the path from the side. In reality, a hem could have infinitely different profiles. In my case I'm trying to draw folded cardboard. It doesn't follow the usual rules for sheet metal. Thanks! 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @william_holden959 - I'll defer that question to @lana
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @william_holden959

Does that doc still exist/is it public? I am getting a not found when trying to look at it.  My first instinct based on the conversation here is to suggest "move face" for extensions, but I would have to see the specific case here.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • william_holden959william_holden959 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    @Jake_Rosenfeld Thanks for your comment. Honestly, I can't remember the previous example, but I've run into it several times. I'm able to work around it by adding a very small tab that basically makes the next flange valid. It seems that by allowing a 0 degree flange things would be easier and I don' see the harm in allowing it. Also, did you see my note about possibly allowing the ability to provide a path (like in a sweep) for a hem. In reality, a hem shouldn't be limited to a few profiles. Thanks again!