Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
Hello,

Does Onshape allow to change keyboard shortcuts or create new shortcut? If so did anyone try this?

By creating new shortcut I mean, assigning to an existing command in Onshape. For example I use 'Space bar' to hide/show of a selection (part, assembly, mates, etc.) while using CATIA. Can I make same shortcut in Onshape?

Thanks.

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2019
    The problem with custom keys from my experience is once you start changing them to suit your old CAD you can never get them to a point where the perfectly suits the new CAD system, the spacebar is a great example, as this has been set up as deselect in Onshape and this works hand in hand with the continuation clicking selection and extremely handy once you master it. Another problem is when teaching someone else, it is good to be on the same page with keyboard shortcuts and if they are remapped can make it harder, then you have to set them up with your short cuts. I really think it's better to learn the Onshape shorts and get them std for all users. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
    The problem with custom keys from my experience is once you start changing them to suit your old CAD you can never get them to a point where the perfectly suits the new CAD system, the spacebar is a great example, as this has been set up as deselect in Onshape and this works hand in hand with the continuation clicking selection and extremely handy once you master it. Another problem is when teaching someone else, it is good to be on the same page with keyboard shortcuts and if they are remapped can make it harder, then you have to set them up with your short cuts. I really think it's better to learn the Onshape shorts and get them std for all users. 
    I can understand your point in exploring new/different (style) functionalities of Onshape. But after a certain extent, I feel its better for productivity to have my own custom keys. Like there are some short-cuts I employ (no matter what the CAD tool is) based on how I work on CAD. So, in my opinion its down to personal choice I guess, whether to learn given short-cuts or try to implement your own on few commands.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2019
    I'd probably meet in the middle.  Stick with OS's default shortcuts but map them to buttons on a CAD mouse to your preference and add macros as required.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • sune_petersensune_petersen Member Posts: 2
    Option to add and customize keyboard shortcuts would be highly appreciated. For instance shortcut for "select other" does not work on all types of keyboards i.e Danish. 
  • thomas_aathomas_aa Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Much needed feature! I ran into the same problem with "Select Other" with a Swedish Dvorak layout.

I put together an Autokey script for Linux, that remaps one key, to work around it:  https://github.com/thomasa88/onshape-utils
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Shout out to a fellow Dvorak user 😉
  • abdel_zaroabdel_zaro Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Having customizable shortcuts doesn't make it harder to learn, since they're optional. Also, you can always reset to default shortcuts, like in SolidWorks. I personally wouldn't consider switching to OnShape without them, because they are so helpful.