Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why does Branch request to update feature library?

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
Lately every time I branch a work space I get this message
Can someone explain what this really means?

What functionality is being added?
Doesn't Onshape auto-update in the background?
How long does this usually take?
Is it dependent on the size of the document? (tab count / part count)

It says I cannot access the doc, but I can (hope it didn't break it). I backed out of it and keep refreshing the main page waiting for this icon to go away.
Stuff like this is usually quick with Onshape, so I'm wondering why it is taking so long, etc..

Best Answers

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Ah, so it is because the version was older.. 

but it was doing it to versions that happen seconds earlier

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @john_mcclary
    I think that maybe it had tried to update the workspace, but couldn't and was stuck at an earlier version. Maybe ask @NeilCooke about it?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @john_mcclary - that is an odd one, especially on a brand new doc. The standard library has not been updated since Oct 17th so it shouldn't ask to update. Even using old custom features should not ask for an update.

Anyway, as @MBartlett21 says "You shouldn't need to worry about it and you can just choose 'Later' if you want."

Was the doc created from the "create" button or did you copy it from a template doc you may have? That would explain requiring the update.

Let us know if it happens again.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    It is indeed a copy of a document, but it was copied from my most recent branch that "should" have been "up-to-date" right?
    Yea, it's showing 1150 in the branch I copied. (which is my working branch)
    and it is showing 1174 in the "main" branch

Looks like you don't update branches?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Branches do get upgraded, but perhaps an issue was found - one way to find out is to let Onshape upgrade the branch, then once the clock icon has disappeared from the Docs page is to go back and "Show code" again to see if the number has changed.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thanks for the deeper dive
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    Is there any way, as a user, to 'force' an upgrade, even if it breaks things?
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @MBartlett21

If you roll back to the feature, suppress it, and recreate the same feature with the same parameters, you are essentially forcing the held back feature to update.  It may break downstream references though.  The other way is to contact support and get us to do it :)

There is not really any way to force a braking workspace update, but really those should be really rare and its more common to see an upgraded workspace with a bunch of held-back features.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @MBartlett21

If you roll back to the feature, suppress it, and recreate the same feature with the same parameters, you are essentially forcing the held back feature to update.  It may break downstream references though.
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    The trouble with recreating it is the recreation has a new id and also it is often a lot of work (e.g updating a sketch)
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Not only that, how do you know which feature caused the update to fail
    @john_mcclary
    If you choose to view code in the part studio and some features are held back, they are called with an "asVersion" parameter with the version that they were held back to.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100