Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Context goes away when creating a new part in-context

skybrianskybrian Member Posts: 25
I'm attempting to create a new part using "Create Part Studio in context" from an assembly. While in the middle of creating the part, I clicked on another part studio to look at something. When I went back, the context was gone. Is there any way to get it back?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    The context will only remain if you actually reference something from it. If you go back to the assembly, the part you created in context should be there - right-click and edit in context.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • skybrianskybrian Member Posts: 25
    Maybe it would, except that I haven't created the part yet. The idea is to create a new part in context, but the context disappeared before I finished! This has happened to me more than once. It makes the "Create Part Studio in context" feature less useful than it looks.

I think what I'm going to go with is:
    1) create a rough part, just enough to attach it.
    2) add it to the assembly.
    3) Edit in context, adding a reference and setting the dimensions correctly.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    There may be an easy solution to this - a Part Studio lets you create multiple parts together. If you share your doc URL we can suggest techniques based on your end goal.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I sometimes just make a sketch and project a point onto it from the context, just to stop the context helpfully evaporating...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • skybrianskybrian Member Posts: 25
    Yeah, I think I'm good now. It's a stumbling block for the beginner, though, that there are sometimes transient contexts that disappear unexpectedly. Maybe that could be changed?

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke
    Would it be able to be changed to fully create the context when creating a part studio in context?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2019
    Yea, it is 'slightly' annoying when you create a new studio in-context. Then hit the back button on the browser.

Now you have to delete the studio, and try again