Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

4K monitors.

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.
Might be setting myself up for a captain obvious award here...
I'm, let's say, no longer in my 20s. 4k monitors just mean smaller fonts that'll be too small to see right? Waste of money?
Erm nope, not at all. I've just swapped my main 27 inch HD monitor for an inexpensive 28 inch 4K model and oh my word it's good. Because the resolution is higher even tiny fonts are crisp. That means more features visable at once in the tree, way move configuration table space and still a decent modelling area, oh and maybe leave the tab manager open too... Even some of the icons make more sense now 😉
Moral of the story, if you're doing CAD for more than an occasional hobby then if you're still on 1K then a months subscription cost invested on 4K monitors could make a significant quality of life improvement. Personally I'd say go for it.
Cheers, Owen.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 359
    Can you suggest a model?
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I'd like to but have decided to use some of the 25 days vacation I have left to take this year so have left work until 2020! The one I bought was from AOC but I can't remember the model. This'll sound strange but the whites are a little different. Less "stab you in the eyes" and more "velvety", a little more like a Kindle ereader.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Enjoy your holiday. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited December 2019
    I had a 4k monitor once... only lasted a month. Then the best buy geek squad wouldn't acknowledge the faulty part. so it sat for another month on my office floor before my wife claimed it as a tv.

I hope you can see the difference that they couldn't

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,376
    I have been using an LG 4K monitor for the last few months and I love it. I run it at 3008 x 1692 so it's not too small (though sometimes will go full 4K if I'm running 2 instances of Onshape at the same time). Model number is LG 27UK850-W - main reason I chose this was USB-C for my Macbook (shame it doesn't have an ethernet input like the Apple Cinema Display).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    I run 2 ASUS 4K monitors - Onshape on one side, and most other stuff on the other one. Love it.