Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

FILL: Merge With All vs. Merge Scope

ArgoArgo Member Posts: 4
As this is my first community question, would like to start by saying: THANK YOU Onshape! I use CAD for hobbying/make and have come across from Sketchup (please don't judge me! :wink:)

Also, Happy New Year!! :smile:

I have been learning by creating a tubular mitre/web. For far too long I could not figure out why I was unable to convert the resultant surfaces (from extrusions, bridging curve, etc) into a solid. By 'clicking all the buttons' I have got the job done. However, this now begs the question: what is the difference between Fill: Merge With All, &, Fill: Merge Scope? Sorry if this is obvious, but can anyone explain why one operation works and the other doesn't? Here are screenshots ("Surface3" is all the manifold geometry you can see) :

Fails with error: "Cannot add surface with existing geometry"

Works:

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ArgoArgo Member Posts: 4
    That's the answer, thanks Neil :) Hidden surfaces it makes no sense to merge with - exactly!
    Because Fill (Add) defaults to 'Merge With All', I (foolishly) assumed OS would wave its magic wand and ignore non-logical entities in the Merge  :s

Er, going to show my newbieness and ask why not Surfaces? My goal was to change the surface  into a solid, which OS did perfectly. I suppose I could have used Enclose? Or am I overlooking a fundamental?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You could probably sweep the triangle as a solid and add the corner piece on after. Maybe 6 features in total?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    @Argo

The GIF below shows the solid modeling method that Neil is talking about.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Great presentation @steve_shubin :+1:
    Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @owen_sparks

Thanks Owen

I’ve got a video editor for my iPhone called LumaFusion. It’s fast & easy to use. It’s my second favorite app - right behind Onshape

• ArgoArgo Member Posts: 4
    Many thanks to both of you, I get it now  :)

I agree with you Owen, Steve's GIF was very useful.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited January 2020
    @john_mcclary

Thanks John