Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Standard content component requests

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    And 917 from a little higher up please :+1:
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Awesome thanks all!
    Support & QA
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Just one body would do nicely

• Adam_MichaAdam_Micha Member Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'd like to request the following screw standard: ISO 14581, (Countersunk torx screws, metric)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is there spring washer in standard content somewhere, I've just spent 10 minutes trying various menus and can not find anything? Not sure what the std is (a google search now came up with DIN 127 B), it really frustrates me I can not quickly use standard content to add common commercial hardware.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • michael_wright889michael_wright889 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Nyloc nuts.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is Din980 available? for now, I am using an ISO7719
    Nyloc nuts.
    They are called Prevailing Torque Nut, if looking for metric versions I am not sure the DIN standard is there but try ISO 7040. 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited January 2020
    @brucebartlett Spring lock washers are hard to find in standards because they are generally not a good idea to use.  Their actual use, though has lingered on in industry. They have been studied and found to be in-effective at providing locking action.  Thread lockers on the fasteners or lock Nyloc nuts are a much more reliable choice.  We do hear you on the method of finding content to use.  Most users have no idea what standards cover things, so browsing by standard first is not the best experience - especially as we add more content.

https://www.boltscience.com/pages/helicalspringwashers.htm
    https://engineerdog.com/2015/01/11/10-tricks-engineers-need-to-know-about-fasteners/

@PeteYodis, yes I agree that spring washers don't work really work but I still use them occasionally for some jobs to maintain consistency with old practices. Looking forward to improvements to help with finding stuff, I am starting to compile a cheat sheet now rather than trying to remember or google searching standards to find what I need. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Spring washers may not be recommended anymore, but there are a lot of old politics making them mandatory for some of us. :(
    So they are still needed unfortunately..
    @john_mcclary Yes, we understand and it's why we offer them in standard content under ANSI and DIN standards.   Spring lock washers.  ISO does not seem to offer a standard for them, and I suspect it's due to the aforementioned issues.  Bruce wants a way to find things without needing to know a standard to look in, and we agree.  
    Ah, must have missed that part.

Yes I strongly agree.
    It sucks having to go dig through all of the standards.

Even in solidworks I made a common directory (which is literally short-cuts to the same folders shown below)
    To get what I need faster.

I know it's a little too late to change Onshape's insert now BUT
    this is how we sorted it in SW. It is very intuitive and quick to find anything (at least for humble old me 😜)

- Inch or Metric
    - Type
    - Standard (ISO/DIN etc.)
    - Size (in configurations)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sounds good @john_mcclary
    Is like to request a toggle option to only display hardware I've previously used as that means it'll be available from my stores, wouldn't require new pn, and avoids the associated winging from our shopping dept...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I was thinking a sub list that just populates the drop downs. Then you could set a favorite for 
    "Ansi Hex Cap Screw"

And it would switch the drop downs to:
    ANSI Inch
    Bolts & Screws
    Hex Bolts
    Hex Cap Screw

From there you will only need to size it up and insert.

The "OR" I was attempting to show the favorite reading your description / part number.  But in hind sight. I think it would be better to give the favorite a new name on creation. something we can label shorter.  In this case i'd call it HHCS (in)
    edited January 2020
    @john_mcclary @owen_sparks I like these ideas, especially the  SW layout that John is using. I really think a beautiful user experience can be created here but it may require a rebuild to get more logical. I really want to go from dreading adding hardware in Onshape to knowing it will be quick, easy and joyful like other areas of the software. 
    edited February 2020
    We have lots of improvements logged in this area.  Favorites, surfacing content your company has inserted before as a priority over new insertions, perhaps even blocking new insertions that your company has not used yet, admin view to control these things, better ways to filter/search the content based on any criteria, etc... Keep them coming.  
    Sound Great @PeteYodis !

Surfacing company content/favorites would be very useful as at the moment it kind of gets lost. 

One area I have trouble is long bolts, I understand we can not have continual sizes over standard lengths but I regularly use long bolts and lots are commercially available, I would like a way to create in the back end of the standard so it surfaces for a company rather than having to model myself outside the content. 

I'd also like more flexible to interchange content while maintaining mates, ie metric to imperial bolts.
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Smaller bolts/screw sizes at least down to M1.4 please
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    GWS50 said:
    Smaller bolts/screw sizes at least down to M1.4 please

And for six sided bolts, cheese head screws and nuts down to M1 please.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    M14 ?  I could not find these and use them in a few places. 
    I need a M20 x 240,  please can we get longer non-standard content.  It's constant frustration trying to use standard content but having abort to import or model my own parts.  

Also found this improvement request, please vote so we can get some attention focused on content to make it a complete solution. https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12046/custom-standard-content
    What if you just give us the option to type in the lengths with a config variable?
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Configuration variable would be the smart way to do this.  Saves having an infinite library of individual parts.
    We need something here soon, please. The configuration variable would work for special lengths. It's a constant frustration trying to get bolts into a project and not finding what's needed in standard content, for a pro CAD package we really need the correct tools to get the job done. I can not find a M20 x 30 8.8 bolt (Set Screw), this commercially available and what I need. Looks like I'll have model myself and remate in 16 locations. Looking forward to some improvements here and some Onshape joy.  

• Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    These are some examples of inconsistencies between Standard Content - "STANDARD" and "HEAD TYPE" even sometimes occurring within ANSI, but different options by "COMPONENT"

Room for improvement:

1. Consistency across various levels of part standards (standards, components, head types)
    2. Clarity of Head Type Naming (Type I, Type IA is not as useful to me as PH would be, or a hybrid format PH - Type IA could be)
    3. Preview images for Head Type to match selections

1. Within ANSI Inch > Bolt & screws > Machine screws... there are differences from Round head machine screw to Pan head machine screw
    ISO Standard has a different structure to the Standard content (see image 4)

2. "HEAD TYPE" has inconsistency:
    Sometimes Type I, Type IA (image 1 or image 3)
    Other times Slot, PH, PZ etc (image 2) is used -- this is preferred for my team

3. The preview of the head type does not match the "HEAD TYPE" selections (image 2 or image 3).

Data accuracy / data consistency would go a long way for a more intuitive user experience.

ISO

• Per_Oskar_OdermalmPer_Oskar_Odermalm Member Posts: 8 PRO
    As my colleague requested a couple of months ago, ISO 14581 is missing. We use that quite a lot.
    Also, metric nylon screws would be a good addition.

Other requests are:
    DIN 7982
    DIN 988
    ISO 10642 / DIN 7991 in M2.5 and M4x14 (maybe an unlocked length variable?)
    ISO 14583 in M3x14
    Maybe also DIN 9021 or ISO 7093 washers.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any nylon insert locknuts? If not it would be a great addition:

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• pmdpmd Member, Developers Posts: 63 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange There are some prevailing force nuts under ISO already in std. content but not as many as your list.

See the list in https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/standard_content_appx.htm?Highlight=prevailing