Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release Management Feedback

2»

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Still waiting an improvements to RM, at its current state it could never replace PDM (as much as I don't like PDM).
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @romeograham I'd definitively like a way to push a release through the assembly structure automatically without having to manually nav and switch and re-release each. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the IR will not be that simple. Below is a link to a topic I made originally as an IR (it hasn't been moved back yet unfortunately) related to releases and it's tied indirectly in with what you're talking about.

Simple run-down: at the current moment, the option to configure the releases within a model isn't possible. Because of this, the software doesn't even have the option to select releases on its own, much less use an automated process, which it would need to do in order to fulfill your IR. If someone isn't using configured parts/assemblies, it would be fairly straight forward. However, configurations throw everything out the window when a configured assembly (such as what we work with) relies on a configured part to be able to switch between its different options and be released at the same time.

It's a catch-22: until these other improvement requests are addressed in some fashion, the development of others can't even begin.

Image result for shrug gif

I do have confidence that these IR will be addressed, it's just a matter of when.