Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch Linear Pattern Direction

Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Community Support
I'm trying to create a linear pattern in a SKETCH.

I can edit count and distance - but the default arrow/direction that comes up is to the right. If I click it it will jump to the left. But if I want it to go in a different direction (i.e. down) it appears as though my only option is to drag it as such. However, in doing so I can't get it to constrain (vertically) or snap (vertically, or to another object) - or enter a numeric angle.

i.e. The only way to control the direction of the line is to eyeball it. 

Am I doing something wrong - or is there no way to do this?? 

Tagged:

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Good news.

There is no eyeballing in professional CAD :)

The pattern will have one count for instances across and another one for up or down.  So if you set each to 10 you'd have 100 widgets in a 10x10 grid.  In your example you need to be setting the up/down instance count to what you want and then set the left/right to 1.

Just as an aside if you kill the dimension between instances you can then constrain them to other geometry, and at any angle you wish.  I don't recall if it snaps as per your animation but you can certainly drop it clos and then appy a coincident constraind.

Shout if none of that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I don't see any place to add an up/down. There is only one number - and it's for the count in the direction of the arrow. (See my GIF above).

The coincident constraint is hard here - because I could constrain to a (vertical) line after-the-fact - but if the initial pattern was put down at an angle that wasn't quite vertical - the spacing won't be right.  
  • Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    NVM - If I zoomed way OUT I could see the "other" axis/count for the vertical axis! (Thanks)

I still think there should be a way to snap or enter an angle, if/when needed...

Thanks again!
  • outstandingoutstanding Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I agree with @Brad_Goodman that snapping e.g. to nearby parallel lines would make realignment of linear pattern direction more explorable. Once I got it, it's not hard to leave the blue dashed line dangling, and add a parallel constraint to it, manually.
  • tom_young928tom_young928 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem and just found the solution!
    Create the linear pattern and then use the perpendicular constrain on the dotted lines!