Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Advice

wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
I need some help thinking through how to model this. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1ab4bf82e8e3d62575bc4e6b/w/794b66bef9be88af3b028565/e/6bbceb06ae7b23a8334eecad
I need to do 7 rows of the stubs, the rows will be equally spaced down the tube vertically but the stubs need to be spaced 360 around the tube at varying spaces with each row being different. I started with patterns but it looks like a long job. Any ideas on a better method. 

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @wayne_sauder

Are the stubs always going to be angled up like that, or do the stubs themselves change in each row?

I am imagining a very specialized custom feature that is like a point pattern, but actually a point around axis pattern, that allows you to pick a bunch of points and it will adjust the rotation correctly.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    The stubs stay at that angle at all times; it's just the distance between them that changes.  I had thought about a point pattern and that would work well if there's something like that available.  However, I have not learned to write feature script, and don't have the time to learn it right now.  
    I found the point pattern written by Cody. It doesn't seem to be able to pattern in a circle. Am I doing something wrong?  
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.
    I believe "point pattern" takes points as inputs. How are you feeding it your circle?
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    It was a little more tricky than I first thought because of the sheet metal part, so had to change the way it was modeled as well (to keep the code simple). See the code tab for comments. Is this what you wanted? This code is not universal, it will only work well with this type of geometry - it was just a quick and dirty solution for this particular problem.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c6c2c20a07b01fbd2dab54ca/w/097cd65800b9ce0f8d529808/e/3eef4488dccf29530bb735a6

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    That looks like it might work for what I need. I have walked away from this project fo a couple of days, now its time to get back at it and I'll see if that will do the trick. Thank you much Neil. If I have problems getting it to work I'll post more.