Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 17th, 2020

bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
edited February 2020 in New in Onshape
We come to you in the middle of February with a big update involving highly-requested features. Let's dig in and as always, we look forward to your feedback.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

EXPLODED VIEWS

You can now create exploded views within Onshape Assemblies and Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3og8mwxk4j

RECURSIVE LINKED DOCUMENT UPDATES 

This update will be rolled out to users over time and was previously seen as two 'What's New' listings for updating all external references and improvements to updating linked documents. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/znndxngjwj

DRAWING SHADED VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

You can now enable shaded views of drawing section cuts, crop views, and views with broken out sections.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tpe1tv3em7

SKETCH INFERENCING IMPROVEMENTS

When sketching in Onshape you can now infer to any geometry in the plane of the active sketch, including existing sketches. Previously you could only infer to geometry that was part of the face being sketched on. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/dvuwp6vtku

NEW USER ONBOARDING IMPROVEMENTS

The password creation page has been redesigned for the account activation process of first-time users. New users, vendors, and suppliers that you start to collaborate with inside Onshape will begin to see an improvement in the account set up process. 

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

IMPROVEMENTS TO RELEASE SETTINGS

You can now override the company release settings for a custom workflow within Onshape Enterprise. There is a new JSON section for custom release workflows called “options” that allows you to override release settings such as the release conditions that would prevent a release from being created. You can also specify which revision scheme is active for the custom workflow selected. Under the revision scheme section of the company settings, there is a new field to copy the revision scheme id to use for this setting. More information on setting up custom workflows can be found in the Onshape Enterprise help documentation.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lii41p9oq5

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

ADVANCED DOCUMENT SEARCH

Searching from the documents list in iOS now allows filtering by properties and custom properties that were created in a company. Simply select an appropriate item from the "Type" filter at the top, and then "Add criteria" for the property you wish to search on.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/orh6sujqw5

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: With the exception of Recursive Linked Documents, the updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
Twitter: @bradleysauln

Comments

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Woo Hoo. Nice round of updates.

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    This update is awesome! I am really excited to have exploded views in assemblies. All of the other features also look fantastic and super useful. Now I'll really have trouble not procrastinating on non-CAD stuff this week...
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Wow... Exploded Views Finally!!! Thanks so much Dev Team! Cheers....
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great news to see exploded views, this will be a huge time saver for me!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • CircleTectCircleTect Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Being able to reference any point or line in a sketch not on the primary face is huge. 

Also, exploded diagrams are something I use ALL the time. I have many duplicate assemblies to make exploded diagrams, but then when I make updates to the design I had to create a completely new exploded diagram assembly and re-create the drawing. 

These two changes will save hundreds of hours. Thanks guys. 
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Thank you for the exploded views!
    Inferencing and recursive links are also welcome changes.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Nice work folks! Updates are always excellent - but this one is extra excellent. Exploded views are a big update.

• gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Great updates!
  • otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    SKETCH INFERENCING IMPROVEMENTS? EXPLOTED VIEWS? greeeeat work guys!!! the inferencing improvements will be super handy! :D as always love this software! thanks for the hard work!
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I like the shaded views improvement, thanks!
  • mechanical_cadmechanical_cad OS Professional Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Wow, this is the best update from a long time ago. Exploded views and Sketch inferencing are great. I hope you will add a parametric options for exploded views. Distance is a must. Thank you! 
  • GuidoNADECGuidoNADEC Member Posts: 27 PRO
    Exploded views and shaded section views. Thanks!!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Wow.

(1 Exploded Views)
    The implementation of exploded views brings back memories of configurations being released.  I imagine a list of what the minimum viable functionality is and then onshape devs saying something like "We can do a whole lot better than that!". I was expecting/hoping for/would have been happy with, something that took a stab at exploding the assembly automatically which we'd then have to edit manually when it inevitably didn't behave exactly as we expected.  This is so much more.  THANK YOU.

OK the inevitable question.  (Please a take it as a compliment that the user wants more.)  Will we be able to step through and or animate the explosion?  This has the potential to bring assembly instructions into the 21st century.  Bring it on :)

(2 Linked docs)
    The reinstated functionality is great, as is the transparent method you've used to reintroduce it, kudos there.  But can we take a moment to consider one new feature that is somewhat buried in the presentation?  Assemblies are now "aware" of updates in multi level structures!  That's awesome and breaths life back into a project I abandoned because this functionality didn't exist at the time.

Please forgive my previous petty winging on insignificant issues.  You've clearly been hard at work :+1:
    Cheers,
    Owen S.

Edit, honorable mention to sketch inferencing.   If that were the only improvement I took away from this update I'd have been a happy chap. B)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Exploded View-Make Me Crazy  :open_mouth:

and With more and more features added, onshape changed from light blue to dark blue, and we are all witnesses!

• mechanical_cadmechanical_cad OS Professional Posts: 24 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    I hope you will add a parametric options for exploded views. Distance is a must. Thank you! 
    The distance is a value in the explode step dialog that can also be configured. Are you looking for something more?
    I am sorry, I missed it. Thank you! :smile:
  • AlexPittAlexPitt Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Fantastic updates! Thank you Onshape team! Looks like a great implementation of Exploded Views! The Recursive update auto-versioning nested sub-assemblies is a wonderful thing! And very grateful for shaded section views too!
  • chand_bashachand_basha Member Posts: 63 EDU
    edited February 2020
    Great to see Exploded Views, Sketch Inferencing and Shaded View of sections. 
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    The best update in 2020! Great job guys! :)
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Good one!  Exploded views and Sketch Inferencing will make things so much smoother.  Thanks Team Onshape.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Ryan_AlmeidaRyan_Almeida Member Posts: 9 PRO
    BEST UPDATES YET!  Incredible round of updates!  Worth the wait on the exploded views.  Such nice features within exploded views (configurations! states!)  :open_mouth:
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Exploded views!  Finally!  Woo-HOO ! ! !

Will there be explode lines available as well at some point?
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    A great thing to keep in mind when thinking about your technical documentation is that the Explode view can be shared/seen across view only links, just like a lot of other aspects to Onshape.

One thing to consider taking advantage of is the following workflow:

1) Display States to hide casings or specific parts not necessary for the steps or instructions
    2) Named views (from the secondary view cube) to set the proper viewing angle to capture the correct visual information
    3) An exploded-view that takes advantage of 1+2 to then be utilized in drawings or for a 3D visualization.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Thanks @bradley_sauln - I knew I'd forgotten something in my 6 minute video!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    Exploded views!  Finally!  Woo-HOO ! ! !

Will there be explode lines available as well at some point?
    @do@don_williams909 There will be explode lines at some point. We know these are important, but just getting out explode for our customers was a big deal.  
  • Len_WangerLen_Wanger Member, Developers Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Great update! Exploded views are huge for us! Can't wait to get recursive updates back too.
  • Jer_WeavJer_Weav Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Been waiting a long time for Exploded Views!  Thank you Onshape!