Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Duplicate and rotate a sketch / sketch entity normal to the sketch plane?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Here I go asking questions again that are probably complete bass-ackwards, but you folk have been so helpful and quick to respond that I keep coming back for more help! (So, thank you in advance!)

This wedge-shaped item above is a Loft of two triangular faces, one at 90 degrees to the other, normal to the surface of the original sketch plane.  You can see the two sketches below:

I create this by simply creating a new plane that was perpendicular to the first sketch plane and then re-drawing my shape, using the same dimensions that I recorded from the previous shape. However, they are not "linked" in the sense that the dimensions (ie: the length of the triangle from the tip to the base) of the first shape do not "drive" those of the second shape.

Is there another way I could have approached this using a rotation or patterning approach? Can you duplicate and rotate an entire sketch's plane after the fact?

Alternatively, there might have been a completely different modeling approach that might have yielded equivalent results. I rtried extrude + draft, but that made the back face draft as well so I didn't get the same resulting shape.

Thanks and be safe my virtual friends.

Tom from Toronto

Best Answer

Answers

• tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    @NeilCooke
    Worked a bloody charm. Cheers!