Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Projected Extrude FeatureScript (V1.1.2)

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
edited April 2020 in FeatureScript
Over winter break I had some time to write this new featurescript which returns a part from the intersection of two nonparallel sketches. It is mostly a copy of the Projected curve feature which is already part of our feature set. Thanks to @lana and @Jake_Rosenfeld for the extra help!

Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @TimRice

Here is a little bug-fix that fixes it not extruding enough:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b64a82008c08948ab7b4a3e9

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Thanks, I'll take a look. Did you notice a specific case where it wasn't extruded enough?
    Onshape, Inc.
    Yes: your screenshot
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • leo_ahrensleo_ahrens Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Tim this is great! Would it be possible to add a quick feature to extrude multiple faces on a single profile at once? Kinda like on the normal extrude feature. 

Right now I am limited to only being able to select one isolate surface. Any lines cutting through a face separates the extrude not allowing to project the full part. 

Would be legendary! 
    Thanks,
    Leo
    edited April 2020
    @leo_ahrens
    Thank you for the kind words! I am not sure what you mean though by the workflow you mentioned. Do you have a screenshot of the input geometry?
    Onshape, Inc.
    edited April 2020
    Hey Tim,

It actually was an incredibly simple fix...

All I had to do was increase the "MaxNumberOfPicks" so I could Query multiple faces for each profile. It was set to only one pick each. 

<div>&nbsp;precondition<span>{ 
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: Flama, sans-serif;">annotation { "Name" : "First profile", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE && GeometryType.PLANE, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 10 }</span></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; definition.profileOne is Query;
    <span>annotation { "Name" : "Second profile", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE && GeometryType.PLANE, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 10 }</span></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; definition.profileTwo is Query;
    <span>}</span></div>
    @leo_ahrens

What would actually be a better solution would be to remove the MaxNumberOfPicks section altogether, allowing unlimited selection for each profile. The resulting precondition will be:
        precondition
        {
            annotation { "Name" : "First profile", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE && GeometryType.PLANE }
            definition.profileOne is Query;
            annotation { "Name" : "Second profile", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE && GeometryType.PLANE }
            definition.profileTwo is Query;
        }

IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @leo_ahrens
    Thank you for looking. I actually added the selection limit on purpose to ensure the two profiles are actually not coplanar. With N number of selections this could become more difficult/time consuming to check. I am looking to add support for selections of sketches in addition to faces which should allow multiple faces in a sketch to be selected. I will post here when the new version is ready.
    Onshape, Inc.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited April 2020
    @TimRice

Glad you put this together!  Ironic - my design needed this and I did it with existing tools and then 5 minutes later I saw this thread.  Will be helpful on the next one. Thanks!
    www.accuratepattern.com
    @leo_ahrens

Just updated to V1.1.2 and added support for multiple planar faces or sketch inputs for both sides. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ea472c5bd213ba9124b90061/v/479fe4641dfa0356a0c36b47/e/0a8c561028bca4f5440ebd24 
    Onshape, Inc.
    Awesome! Looks good, thanks.