Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Generating Random Imperfections

craigjcraigj Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I am looking for ideas on how to model/generate imperfections on objects modeled in OnShape.
I user onshape for modeling items for 3D printing. 

Right now I am revisiting a model of a padlock that I made for a Halloween prop
This is a photo the original that I 3D printed and painted last year

This year I want to make one that looks a lot more beat up and broken
I have already modified the model to break it up into 'broken' pieces

What I am looking for now is ideas on how to distress the surface of the front face and pieces of the shank.
Pitting, scaring, dents, etc.  I could do this with a Dremel tool after printing (which was my original plan)
But I thought it might be better to try modeling these imperfections so that I get these effects in the print itself

Has anyone tried doing something like this in On Shape before?   

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I think, by its nature, Onshape isn't really designed for those kinds of 'cosmetic' features. You could certainly do things manually, but that sounds like a lot of work. 

If you want to do something before printing, I would look at something like Meshmixer after exporting the STL from onshape: http://www.meshmixer.com/
  • Options
    NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Bump maps can turn applied visual textures into 3D texture in an mesh model. Not in Onshape though. I don't think in Meshmixer either. Things like Rhino (not ideal for this) or Zbrush or any 3D animation package like 3DSMax or god forbid Houdini (massive learning curve).
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    I think the Dremel would be easiest :smile:
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    You could try the Sculpt Face FeatureScript: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b8730d44070bc0466ad80444/v/f33e89a2df8c548621ea2b0f/e/ec46353fdee854c09f4deddb

You might be able to define local areas with sketches, then use the Scupt tools to deform the surfaces.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    This recently released YT video by Prusa illustrates some interesting tools that seem appropriate for what you want to do and some of them are free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEe2LQNquI

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Blender could definitely work for what you want and is free, but it’s got a unique UI that can make it tough for beginners (source: am a beginner). Beyond that, Dremel is a pretty good option for your project.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    george_lacerdageorge_lacerda Member Posts: 2
    The simplest option I've used: download an image from a texture, import it to 3d Builder (microsoft and free), export to stl, import the stl in onshape.