Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Beam feature script: Instance count / cut list in assembly

bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
edited March 2019 in Community Support
It's been a while since I've used the beams feature script, the last time I did use the tool I recall that there was no "easy" way to create a cut list or automatically count the number of identical parts.

I wanted to see if there has been a change, I searched the forums and did not see anything new.

I have one part studio as shown (created using the Beams feature script).

As can been seen, many of the parts are the same.  I need to create an assembly drawing of this and accurately show a BOM with balloon call outs and number of parts required for the assembly at a minimum. Ideally a cut list of some kind that was not totally manually done would be good.  I suppose I could create an assembly and constrain / pattern each part instance as appropriate but that to me seems to be duplicating all the work done in the part studio using the beams feature.  Is there some kind of work around for this.  I can't imagine that I'm the only one facing this issue using the beams feature??

Answers

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Currently we do not instantiate parts in the part studio. That means all created parts are unique, even those created by a pattern. Typically we recommend modeling only the unique parts in the part studio and then use assembly patterns to insert the rest of the parts.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we had an option to merge positions in BOM by some property the cases like this wouldn't be a problem anymore
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    edited March 2019
    I will usually create the entire part studio as you have so that miter cuts and copes are created, then I'll delete the duplicate parts. You don't really have to delete them, but it helps to make sure you are using the right parts when creating the assembly.

As far as constraining, you don't need to do as much as you think. Most of your parts will be inserted exactly where you need them. Just fix the first part and group the rest. You only need to constrain the new parts, but many of them can be positioned with patterns.
  • bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
    @TimRice I understand what you are saying, but as I mention in the post I'm using the Beams (@NeilCooke) feature script tool which is generating each part based on a closed sketch geometry and a profile from the feature script dialog box.  It would have been hard to do a top down design by modeling each individual part in this case.

@konstantin_shiriazdanov Yes that would be a good option to have.

@Cris_Bowers Yes I was thinking at lunch that I could something like that.  That is good idea about grouping the parts up.  Still seems like extra work to me but at present I guess it's the only way.

• travis_lundytravis_lundy Member Posts: 15 PRO
    bill_de_la_vega, I'm right there with you.

This is one of the main limitations keeping this feature from being a "killer app." The problem for me is that I was doing this with SolidWorks 10+ years ago so I know it can be done but is the main reason that prevents me from using it more. I'll keep an eye on it because it is SO close to fulfilling its potential.

• ComagComag Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Any progress with this? it is the main reason I sill use solidworks.... i can't go without cut lists.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Comag said:
    Any progress with this? it is the main reason I sill use solidworks.... i can't go without cut lists.
    @MBartlett21 has developed a Feature Script for this. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Comag

Please see the link for my Australian Beams Featurescript below:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfcc264d41817d876589755c
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100