Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I thread a bolt?

I'm new to Onshape.  I'm a high school teacher who just started using this program.  My students are designing toy trains.  We need to do a bolt with specs of 1/4 - 20 UNC  1/2" OFFSET for the threads.  I cannot find a tool to do this.  Please help.

Best Answers

• mary_morrison111mary_morrison111 Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Answer ✓
    Is this an app we would have to buy?
    Answer ✓
    Thank you so much everyone!  This has been very helpful!

Answers

Thank you.  I assigned students to create their own bolt with threads.  We could do that in Autodesk Inventor.  I guess we can't here.  I appreciate your help. 
    Answer ✓
    Is this an app we would have to buy?
    Answer ✓
    Thank you so much everyone!  This has been very helpful!
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is an educational exercise, and I I'm probably being pedantic, but in general one shouldn't model threads unless absolutely necessary. You'd be surprised how often I see professional engineers bog down their models with threaded screws. The only time fully modeled threads are truly useful is if it's a larger thread that's being 3D printed, or if they are normally suppressed but were unsuppressed for a pretty picture. McMaster-Carr, I'm looking at you...

Just something to pass on to your students. Gotta start them young :)
    It's in the curriculum.  I think it's there so the students are forced to understand what pitch is, and how to read the specifications. That's a very interesting point though and I will pass it along.  Thank you and thank you for all your help today.  Switching from teaching Autodesk Inventor in a school computer lab to teaching Onshape in distance learning overnight has been challenging.  I truly appreciate the community of people, including you, who are supporting me.